Hearth tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am in the process of making a hearth for a cast iron multi fuel/wood burning stove

The hearth is going to be concrete.

I was wondering iof there was a specific type of tile I had to use for the hearth and wall behind the fire or can I just use any standard tile that I like the look of.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers Jim

Sponsored Links
Tiles are fired at very high temperatures so the relatively low temperatures around a fireplace won't bother them. Around a fireplace, I'd go for a porcelain tile cause they're tougher.
More of a concern would be the adhesive. I'd recommend using Bal Rapidset http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/bal_products/rapidset.asp
That's rated up to 150°C. Your tiles shouldn't get anywhere near that temperature though.

In my last house, I had a cast iron multi-fuel stove. The fireplace itself was brick, and the hearth was black slate. To cover the concrete underneath the fire, I just used matt black tiles - the kind you see on Victorian hallways. They lasted fine for 12 years, which was when I sold the house.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back