tiling the inside faces of a square fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys was just looking for some advice if you can?
I have got a normal concrete-block built fireplace. i am going to be partly setting a wood burning stove back into the area but want to tile the three sides first with black granite tiles as you can still see much of the three faces even when the stove is in place.
The problem is that the rough blocks are obviously not very smooth or plumb and i don't think i can tile straight onto them. i was thinking of lining the sides with 12mm plasterboard using the dot and dab technique. would this be ok heat wise etc and if so would normal flexible powder mix adhesive be ok for both fixing the plasterboard to the walls and the tiles to the plasterboard??
thanks

Sponsored Links
Would use fireboard / superlux instead of plasterboard since not fireproof. Seal with pva before tiling (since fireboard will soak up moisture from adhesive and not adhere properly)- flex powder adhesive should be fine.

I have tiled a couple of fireplaces in similar situations,just mixed up some powdered flexi and put a skim over the blockwork,allow to dry and tile as normal.

Have been back to do more work at one of the properties,fire has been used all through winter and all is fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back