Cermaic floor tiling over ply floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our kitchen floor currently has ceramic tiles over Weyroc floor boarding, I'm aware that a ply board 4mm - 6mm is used traditionally for the tiles to be bedded on using a flexible adhesive but I was wondering if any tilers had used metallic lathing with a gout filler to form a more uniform, reinforced solid base before tiling?
Or if not a purpose made board more suited to ceramic tiles?

All responses greatly appreciated

Geoff

Sponsored Links
I flicked through similar threads on the forum and found a lot referencing 6mm ply or similar well fixed down over existing boarding, taking up the existing tiling off the Weyroc floor boarding I have found it fairly sound in condition but springing being a timber suspended floor, I feel that ultimately I shall have to take up the current floor and replace with 18mm ply then a flexible adhesive for the new tiles but was just wondering if any experienced tiler had seen or considered a metal lathing and grouted surface to form a hard reinforced cement skin to remove some of the springing or if I do take up the existing floor before replacing with new 18mm I could fit more under joist support to take out the springing just seems a lot of extra work to ensure the new tiling stays bonded.

Thanks for looking and advice

Sponsored Links
OK that's good enough for me, I shall take up the Weyroc floor and replace with 18mm ply before tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back