Certificate for new electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all the sparkys out there, I am doing a house up, I have re wired it as per instruction from an aquantance, but he has let me down I have got someone to wire the consumer unit, I am competant to do the second fix on the sockets and lighting, all I need to know is if I need it to get it certificated what firstly do I need to do ? and what is usually the cost for this ? many thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I personally would not continue with any work, but get hold of a registered electrician and explain your circumstances.
The person whom you have to wire the c/u must be able to advise you as it will be his name and responsibility for the final installation.

Hope this is of some help.

Ed

Ed is correct in that your best option is to find a registered competent person who can do the work and notify the LABC.

There are two issues here. The first is obtaining an electrical certificate for the work and that is something any genuine electrician or company will provide for the work they do, and can also provide for existing work. Anyone *can* issue those certificates, if they have the appropriate testing equipment and the knowledge of how to use it.

The bigger issue is notification of this work to the LABC for the purposes of complying with Part P.

Registered competent persons (or companies) can ONLY notify their OWN work, so you may struggle to find one who is prepared to put their name to the work you have done, unless it is readily available for inspection and has been done exactly as that person would do.

An alternative would be to notify the LABC of your intention to do the work, pay their fee, and allow them to inspect it and certify it (which is included with their fee, whatever they tell you).

However, again that should have happened before the work started, and their attitude may or may not be cooperative at this stage of the job, especially if some of the wiring is already covered in.

Prices for installing a consumer unit will vary according to location, size of house (or more precisely, number of circuits), buggerance factor, your scheduling requirements, marketing decisions of the person or company you employ, etc, etc, so I'm afraid there is little point in giving you even a ballpark figure, though you can assume it will cost hundreds not tens of pounds.

Your best bet is to call around and get 2-3 quotes, explaining your situation, and hope you can find someone who will help you out.

You should understand that you have placed yourself in a difficult position, so be nice to anyone who comes to quote and don't complain if they are very wary about getting involved in potentially putting their name and reputation on the line for work they did not do.

On a side note, I ran into a similar situation recently which I managed to resolve with a quite nice LABC guy, but there seems to be no clear procedure in place for a situation where the work is carried out by a qualified person, who then fails to finish the job (illness, death - hopefully not by electrocution :eek: or other acts of God).

Perhaps that is to avoid people using that excuse to try to get round the regulations, which seems to be something many people are keen to do (thats not aimed at the OP, just a general observation)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back