Certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have just had to have in my kitchen a double plug socket blanked off in order to have a boiler fitted (the issue was pipe work and distance to socket).

The council are asking for an electrical certificate for the works completed. The person who did the work is saying there is no requirement to provide a certificate.

I have no idea re rules / regs and wanted clarification as to if a socket is blanked off in a kitchen ( no further replacement) then do we definitely need an electrical certificate of some kind is it right for the council to insist on it?

I would struggle with further costs as the boiler was expensive so would be interested to know if I need a certificate and if so if the person still refuses what could I do?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If the blank is now behind the boiler and inaccessible then that could be a problem in the future, unless the connections are made in a way classed as maintenance free.
That is with modern spring connectors or properly soldered etc.

As to a certificate: I suppose one would verify the above - so, if not done properly then someone may be reluctant to put it in writing.

There should be a minor works certificate. This is because after blanking off the socket the remainder of the circuit must be tested for ring continuity etc, and the installer is certifying that eg maintenance-free connectors have been used if required.

Possibly the person doing the job has not declared the money received to Mr Taxman.

Sponsored Links
Why?

The MWC proves the circuit is safe after the alteration.

Who got the council involved anyway?

Why? ... The MWC proves the circuit is safe after the alteration.
It would be great if that were true, but the reality obviously is that all a MWC "proves" is that the person who undertook the work (competently/compliantly or otherwise) has written something credible on a piece of paper.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back