Cost of a certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a friend who runs a company that installs security personnel in empty pubs on behalf of the owners, (either breweries or private owners).

He was asked to arrange for some electrical work to be done in one of the pubs which he believes was add a few sockets to a circuit and obtain a safety certificate. After contacting an electrician he was told it would be around £800 plus the certificate. The electrician was given the go ahead. He did the work and submitted a bill for £1,700 with the certificate to follow upon payment. When friend asked for a breakdown of the bill he was told £850 materials & labour then a further £850 for the test certificate. (He has now realised he should have got a breakdown quote first but you learn from your mistakes).

What price would be reasonable for a test certificate that covered the additional work carried out on the one specified circuit, (as requested by the owner).

PS. Not sure if circuit was ring main or radial but believe may have been 3 or 4 sockets added.

Sponsored Links
A certificate to cover the work he had done? Or that certificate plus an EICR?

If the former, I would tell your friend to offer to pay £850 and not a penny more.

It could get ugly, but I'd tell him if he's not happy, come back and undo his work, and get someone else in.

Sounds like a charlatan to me

The owner, who wanted the work carried out, only wanted the circuit with the new sockets certifying as the rest of the installation is covered by an inspection done a few months ago with a recommendation it be tested again in 5 years.

Definite charlatan then. I'd be wanting an explanation how he can justify £850 for a cert to cover his work though.

There has to be something more to this story, either than your friend doesn't know, or isn't telling you

Sponsored Links
Not had time for an in depth chat with him yet but believe that's the basic story. Don't think mate is holding anything back. He just wants a breakdown to bill his customer.

Who contracted for the work to be done?

Your friend or the owner of the premises?

Just wondering what will happen to your friend if he says "It's £850, after I have the certificate, or it's SFA and we can arrange a time for you to come and retrieve your materials", and doesn't budge.

Not paying anything at all before the electrician issues the certificate is vital. As is watching him like a hawk if he undoes the work to make sure he doesn't "accidentally" damage anything in the process.

The owner asked my friend to obtain a quote for the required work, (owner stated what he wanted), so friend obtained quote for £850 plus the certificate. He forwarded this to the owner who accepted the quote. Now the electrician is asking for £1,700 and saying the work cost £850 and its a further £850 for the certificate. Friend is refusing to pay anything until he has a complete breakdown of the bill as he is certain the owner will not pay him without a complete breakdown. It appears the electrician is trying to claim for staying 4 nights in a B&B, (4 night stay to fit a few sockets???), but refuses to show a bill for this or even say what B&B it was. Friend has totally dismissed this claim and told electrician to take him to court for payment. Electrician is now not answering his phone or replying to emails.
Friends problem is that he still needs the certificate.

How long where they there? Perhaps they spent a few days testing the whole place?

Perhaps the contractor has been asked to "come to my pub to install some additional sockets. I also need you to do me an electrical certificate"

Maybe there has been some miscommunication and the electrician took that as a request for an EICR. Who knows.

Perhaps the contractor has been asked to "come to my pub to install some additional sockets. I also need you to do me an electrical certificate"

Maybe there has been some miscommunication and the electrician took that as a request for an EICR. Who knows.

That was what I thought.

If I was asked to install some sockets and do a safety certificate, that's what I would assume, although would check and quote accordingly.

Quite. As has been said ...
There has to be something more to this story, either than your friend doesn't know, or isn't telling you
However, how reasonable is £850 likely to be for "installing 3 or 4 sockets" and/or £850 for an EICR?

Kind Regards, John

I've no idea. If it's 3 single 13A sockets directly under a compliant DB, it's expensive. If it's 4no. 63A TP&N sockets at the opposite side of the pub, plus bonding, new DB and so on then probably not bad.

A large pub could easily take 3 or 4 days for two men to EICR. I've certainly worked in premises this size, throw in digs, PDs, travel etc and that price starts to look a lot less outrageous.

It was explained to me that he was to add a couple of sockets to an existing circuit and test only that circuit, (including the additional sockets), as the original installation had been fully tested fairly recently and did not need to be re-tested again.

Friends problem is that he still needs the certificate.
Friend will find that if he pays SFA to the man on a horse he will be quids in if he gets a proper electrician to come and inspect the work.

If it was not a new circuit then the owner cannot need a Building Regulations completion certificate.

Does BS7671 not state that all electrical work undertaken should be inspected, tested and an appropriate certificate issued.
If you are an electrician part of the fee/quote would include the I&T plus cert.
If your friend was been given a quote for electrical work, then the electrician should also complete the required I&T and issue the appropriate certificate. It is not something that an additional charge is made/requested after completion.
The solution is a simple one, offer the contractor the money for the original quote and state that this must include certification or they are in breech of the the agreed quote. If they refuse to issue certificates. Tell the contractor you will get a third party to inspect and test the work they undertook and deduct that from there quote and then offer to pay the balance.
You can also find out if the contractor is registered with or a member of an electrical organisation/association and make a formal complaint to them regarding this.
Certificates cost about a pound to produce.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back