Certificates for new door on extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon, Just wanted to check what if any certificates i would need for the following:

I am having an extension built under PD, and being inspected by a private BC company.
I am looking for a glazing firm to install a bi-fold door only, (there are no windows), and i will be installing a glass skylight myself - no frame, just double layer glass unit (6mm + 6mm laminate, plus 6mm K glass)

A few companines are saying that the doors do not need fensa or equivilant certificates as they are not replacing doors, they are new.

Fensa website states

When selling your property, your purchaser's solicitors will ask for evidence that any replacement glazing installed since April 2002 complies with the Building Regulations. There are currently two ways to prove compliance:-
  • a certificate showing that the work has been done by an installer who is registered with FENSA or a similar body
  • a certificate from the Local Authority Building Control stating that the installation has been approved under the Building Regulations.
Am i right in assuming that i fall under the second category for the doors, and the skylight - as long as i receive sign off from BC to say the build is as required by regs?

I'm not sure if my BC is a bit green and will ask for the certificate, which i may not then have, as it should fall under the second method of proving compliance...

What is the actual position?

Sponsored Links
Your BC will just be able to check they have been installed correctly and sign it off as part of the build, these are new doors and not replacements

Agree BC will sign this off ... anything done under a building inspector will not need Fensa/certass certification

Sponsored Links
This is from the fensa website

FENSA does not apply to conservatories, porches, commercial premises or new build properties or extensions. In all of these instances you are required to go through the Local Authority Building Control process. If your property is a flat then planning permission may be required before replacing your windows, therefore it is advisable to check this with the Planning Department of your Local Authority. If planning permission is required a FENSA registered company can register the installation for certification purposes. If you live in a property that is a Listed Building and wish to replace your windows this would fall under the jurisdiction of the relevant Local Authority therefore planning permission would be required and the installation cannot be registered with FENSA.

I am having an extension built under PD.............I am looking for a glazing firm to install a bi-fold door only

A few companines are saying that the doors do not need fensa or equivilant certificates as they are not replacing doors, they are new.

I'm confused, you say your having new doors fitted or want fitted but then companies are saying they're not replacing the doors...............AY!!!! :confused:

BC won't give a monkeys about how good/bad the install is, the plans normally specific to use a Fensa/Certass installer, if the BC inspector knows this is the case, most of the time they don't even look at the doors anyway. We had one last week where the BC inspector was waiting to see the Fensa cert from our customer for the bifolds we installed before he signed it off???!!!

BC won't give a monkeys about how good/bad the install is, the plans normally specific to use a Fensa/Certass installer, if the BC inspector knows this is the case, most of the time they don't even look at the doors anyway. We had one last week where the BC inspector was waiting to see the Fensa cert from our customer for the bifolds we installed before he signed it off???!!!

Thats the situation i dont want to be in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back