CH control in an empty house during a frosty period

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I recently had an extension built with a radiator fitted inside. Due to the location of the extension and the number of windows it has, it is the first room in the house to cool down when the CH is off. I've noticed that in the mornings, before the timer switches the CH to ON, the rest of the house is cool, while the extension is chilly.

The room thermostat is in the hall, on the opposite side of the house. All of the rads, including the one in the extension, have TRVs (with froststat setting) except the one in the hall, which is set fully open.

I am concerned about the CH control in the house during either a prolonged frosty period, or a short frosty period while we are away for a prolonged period.

I have done some research on frost stats and return pipe stats and I fully understand what is required. I will install cables if needed, but I've only just built the extension and laid floor coverings over the probable route to the electrical components, so I really don't want to take that option if at all possible.

My solution, subject to your advice, is to install a wireless room stat system. We will remove the existing room stat in the hall and fit the RF receiver in its place. We will fix the RF room stat transmitter (battery powered) next to the rad in the extension. While we are at home the stat will be set to max temp. The hall rad will always be fully open to provide water circulation, as per standard techniques. While we are away (even for a prolonged period) the CH will be set to 24 hrs and the boiler to a low water temp. The room stat will be set to 5 degrees. All rads will be set to frost setting and the hall rad remaining fully open. The principle is that if/when the extension cools to 5 degrees in advance of the rest of the house, the boiler and pump will slowly circulate warm water to heat the room stat in the extension which is cooling down. The rest of the house (pipework) will receive warm water, too, where required by their TRVs.

Thoughts, anyone?

Sponsored Links
You could drain the system if away for long periods.

You need to add inhibiter when refilling it. :D

Just set your programmer to constant, room stat to about 10-12 C and leave all trvs open.

This will let ch tick over whilst you are away. Leave hw off.

Just set your programmer to constant, room stat to about 10-12 C and leave all trvs open.

When you say, "your.......room stat" are you referring to my existing one in the hall and suggesting that I don't need the RF stat in the extension, or are you referring to my proposed RF stat in the extension?

Sponsored Links
Zone the system and use a wireless stat for your extension. If you replace the existing roomstat with a wireless one, put it in the lounge.
If you get a progammable stat, you will automatically have frost protection.

When you say, "your.......room stat" are you referring to my existing one in the hall and suggesting that I don't need the RF stat in the extension, or are you referring to my proposed RF stat in the extension?

I was referring to your existing one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back