Unvented CH system - need for 'safety' radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a brand new 3 storey house. It has an unvented CH system with TRVs on all rads except the one in the hall. There is a room stat in the hall.

All rads are fully bled and TRVs correctly set but to get the top floor as warm as I want means the hall has to be allowed to get really warm or it triggers the roomstat. I'm needing to run the roomstat at 23 degrees.

I think the (non-TRV) hall rad is a tad too large and too close to the room stat but the installer/builder say it's correct so I'm snookered there.

Is there any reason why I cannot simply shut off the hall radiator at the valve and rely on each room's TRV for control? I seem to recall someone once saying that the new unvented systems need at least one radiator to be always open.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need a bypass to allow the pump overrun of the boiler. That hallway rad also provides the heat to operate the roomstat. Leave it alone!

reduce heat output by turning down lockshield valve on hall rad.
as its a new build there is probaly a bypass valve some where on the system usually just after the pump.

Sponsored Links
if it is a new system it "should" have a fully automatic bypass valve which would allow the hall rad to have a trv and be shut down but as it has 2 lockshields i assume that it is being used as a bypass so i wouldn't shut the valves as it might stop correct circulation, better to try to balance the other rads first to see if that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back