CH Draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sealed central heating system.

I want to replace a few rads upstairs with smaller double rads.

Do I need to drain the system fully or just the upstairs to below the radiator level?

Any advice is gratefully received.

Ta

Mike

Sponsored Links
i am also having the same problem...

i want to do the work myself as i do not know a reliable plumber

do i need to drain the system fully or not as mike has asked?

thanks, paul

Paul

It looks like the nation needs an answer!

I spoke to a guy at work, who thought that I would only need to drain down below the level of the upstairs rads.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Mike

I normally just drain the upstairs only, and close the valves on the upstairs rads I'm not touching (that's if your sure they don't let water by, and make sure you make a note of the lockeshield valve setting, number of turns, so you can set the system back to it's previous state.

Sponsored Links
Hi - when we installed our towel radiator in the bathroom we just drained the upstairs ones. It seemed to do the trick.

Hi All,

When you say drain the upstair ones do you mean draing all the upstaire radiators? to replace a new radiators

When you do this will that drain all the water from the upstair system pipe pipe?

Please advise....

In about 4 weeks time we will be preparing to replace some of our old radiators and install some new one’s into the exiting place.

Additional 2 extra radiators will be fitted into a new location i.e. in the Kitchen and upstairs hallway.

We have a comi boiler 24kw – sealed system?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but technically speaking we have to re-rout the pipe work? Create addition 2 connection from the system pipe to the radiators for the new radiators?
Re-create the pipe work of the old radiators because the new radiators will be slightly bigger than the old ones.
Drain the entire system etc……..

I would appreciate if you can guide me through how I can achieve this in the simplest way.

My aim is I want to do this by myself so that I can build my knowledgebase if thats possible or is this too technical that I should call a Heating Engineer for this work?

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back