CH hot, DH cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gravity primary, pump secondary(CH)
CH on gravity not working. When the CH is on the radiator suck air in when bleeding.
CH off gravity works fine. When CH off radiators bleed as normal.

Sponsored Links
Trying to understand your post I believe your pump if fitted on flow pipe & is pumping with a negative system pressure so only bleed rads with pump turned off & turn heating on about an hour after water so you have tank full.Or convert system to fully pumped @ around £700

The secondary circuit is a DHW return loop and not the heating.

other than that as weareleeds said

Sponsored Links
What i am trying to say is:-

the gravity feed to the domestic water system doesn't work when the pump is running. when pump is off it works fine. Once the pump is activated the gravity feed loses its flow. I can crack and remove the pipes from the cistern with no spillage!

The pump is pumping to the boiler not from it. The system has been working fine for the past 19 years. Solid fuel boiler for 15 years and oil boiler for the past 4 years

I've checked:- pump, feed and expansion pipes, I've even had mains pressure into the system to force any air out (water flowing out of the expansion pipe)

Could it be a build up of sludge somewhere in the system?

I'm at a bit of a loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back