CH Intermittent Overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anybody can throw light on my little problem:

I have a conventional vented fully-pumped CH/HW system, using a Glow-Worm 18hxi, 2 motorised valves and Honeywell Auto by-pass valve. The layout is generally as the image. The boiler is wall-mounted on the ground floor, all of the controls are in the airing cupboard on the first floor, and the FE tank is directly above the airing cupboard in the loft.
//media.diynot.com/133000_132467_17648_88451480_thumb.jpg
The problem is intermittent over-flow from the FE tank. It seems to occur in the 'over-run' stage of the cycle, when the controls and boiler have switched off, but the pump (electrical feed from the boiler) is continuing to operate.

I have a feeling it's to do with the setting of the by-pass valve, but I cannot reproduce the fault on-demand. I've put it in over-run mode when fully hot, with the by-pass valve either fully open or fully-closed, but it all works OK and no overflow. The system generally is working fine. I can hear the MV's operating, and the pump is the correct way round.

I've checked the ball-valve in the FE tank, and that is OK, plus it only seems to happen when the pump is running.

And then, occasionally, there's a cry from the kitchen "It's leaking again !"

I can't work out any scenario of what could be causing it, and why it can be so intermittent ...

Sponsored Links
The system feed must be on one side of the pump and the vent on the other.
there may be an intermittent fault on one of the zone valves but whatever the cause fitting a de-aerator will bring the feed and vent connection close together on one side of the pump and alleviate your problem

Thanks for the thoughts. The Glow-worm installation leaflet, though, specifically shows BOILER - EXPANSION - FEED - PUMP in that order, as does the Myson leaflet for the kick-space heater. Are they both wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Boiler, vent (expansion), cold feed, pump is correct order. Should be no more than 150mm between vent and cold feed connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back