CH rad drain valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shortly going to do a CH system drain.

The conservatory, built on to the house before I bought it, has three rads which seem to be fed from the upstairs pipe work. The pipes in the garage attic come through the house wall, there are feed/return pipes running down to one rad, two pipes running horizonatally above the garage entrance door then down to feed the other two rads which have horizontal pipe runs between them. I can't see any drain valves fitted so when I drain the CH off, the three radiators will not drain because the feed to them is at first floor level.

Screwfix stock drain valves and logic tells me I need to fit two drain valves. I can drain the house pipework through the drain valve on the rad at the front door.

Do I drain the house first, then drain the conservatory rads off some how, then fit the drain valves?

Sponsored Links
Do I drain the house first, then drain the conservatory rads off some how, then fit the drain valves?

Yes! Draining the house first, will draw at least some of the conservatory water out with it, saving you a little of the effort.

All low points in a heating system, should have had drain points installed. I have five such drain points, due to the layout, concrete ground floor/ all pipes run under bedroom floors.

The difficult part will be the three rads the first time around since there not a drain valve. A bowl under the rad connection is the order of play I suppose.

Its a wood frame construction house and the lower floor 10mm push fit rad pipes go into the skirting board rather than the floor. I may drain and fill then run the CH to circulate the water to try and flush out as much of the old water in the lower pipe work then drain again.

Sponsored Links
The difficult part will be the three rads the first time around since there not a drain valve. A bowl under the rad connection is the order of play I suppose.
I would close the rad iso valves first, then drain the pipework. Then open a rad valve slowly to control the flow, and close it between bowlsful. If that's not too obvious.

This is the type of connector on the rads, the copper pipe being 15mm. The other side of the rads have Thermostat valves.

full

It would be wise to change those valves for the type that have a drain cock incorporated

That's my intention. Will need to fit x2, one for the solo fed rad and one to the two rads connected by pipework.

Screwfix stock this one.

What I presume to be the main drain for the house is at the front door.

full

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back