CH System - Choices?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have quite a large old house in a rural area with no mains gas or mains drainage. The current CH System is a floor standing unit that runs on oil and powers approximately 12 large radiators and, as far as i understand it, has an indirect hot water system. There is a hot water tank in the bathroom and 2 header tanks in the loft.

I will be replacing the system in time and may well end up adding another 3 or 4 radiators. We have one bathroom at present with a basin, shower and bath in it. We are likely to add another 3 or 4 ensuites one of which will have an electric shower.

We would ideally like instant hot water at the taps but this isn't essential.

Could anyone offer some general advice with regard to the sort of system that might be suitable to meet this type of requirement?

Edited to say: an essential requirement is to have more than one shower running t the same time without freezing or scorching each other!!

An Aga may also be on the cards if this matters to the design?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Ground source heat pumps. Thermal store. External plate to plate. Solar hw. Then have the aga on the system too. options are endless; cash on the other hand sometimes is not. Are you be doing most of the work yourself. As always better to get/give advice on site with a big job like this.

Nathan

Don't fancy trying something like this myself. If it was a standard CH system like I have had in other houses then maybe but this is too complex for me.

Don't really fancy solar as I don't like the look of the panels on the roof but maybe there are other siting options.

Thx

D

A site visit would be more benifical with regards to siting options. But that's just one of a selection of options.

Nathan

Sponsored Links
After doing some further research it looks like a thermal store would be a good idea in my circumstances. I could then have a number of options added including a condensing boiler, the Aga, a wood burning stove and renewable sources such as GSHP and solar. I am not clear whether the renewable sources would ever cover their cost?

thanks

D

Keep the existing boiler it is common for oil boilers to last 20-30 years.
They are incredibly reliable and easy and relatively cheap to fix.
Update the radiators and controls thermostat etc.
I have found substantial savings by zoning the house so that I can run upstairs or downstairs separately effectively reducing the amount of heat I am using by half.
Forget the aga get yourself a nice lpg range cooker it will run on a 47kg bottle for ages and ages.

If your house is anything like my house high ceilings you are going to need the heat from the oil boiler. I would also suggest a nice lpg gas fire.

Go for loft and cavity wall insulation that you should be able to get free.

Depending on water pressures and flow rates look into unvented hot water cylinder with accumulator tank.

Don't consider solar hw : waste of time in this country.
Go for solar electric if you get it free.

Thanks. Found out tonight boiler is only 10 years old and has been serviced every year.

D

So plumber has been and we discussed the following configuration for updating our heating:-

Keep the current boiler as its only 10 years old and seems to be in good order (serviced annually).

Replace radiators with modern ones with new thermostatic valves - consider wireless programmable valves but the plumber wasn't sure how reliable they are?

Put in hot water loop to deliver instant hot water to the outlets.

Put in thermostatic controller for heating and hot water and provide ability to zone upstairs and down.

Add wood burning stove with back boiler.

Replace water tank with something bigger ( an accumulator?).

Ruled out combi due to poor water pressure.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks

D

Where did the word "accumulator" come from?

What is the back boiler being connected to?

The reference to "accumulator" came from the suppliers of the wood burning stove; they suggested a 750 litre accumulator for hot water. They also say that they support both vented and unvented cylinders. I assumed they were the same thing.

Wood burning stove can connect to both hot water and central heating as I understand it.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back