CH Timed vs Constant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to get a few expert opinions as to the best way to run a central heating system, mainly concerning condensing boilers.

I had my Worcester 24i junior on timed and the boiler stat set to max in order to heat the rooms accordingly, I have a room stat set to 20 degrees and noticed the rooms would sometimes feel cold.

Someone suggested that lowering the boiler stat to about 5 and leaving it on constant would keep the house warmer (which it does) and would save gas as the boiler isn't having to work as hard to maintain the heat in the house.

I wonder if anyone has any experiences simalar or any comments.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It won't save gas. Gas used (= heat input required) depends on the heat lost, which is dependent on temperature difference between inside and out x number of hours you want to keep the house warm.

More hours of warmth = more cost.

If you find that the walls (in particular) are thick, cold and uninsuklated, and take a long time to warm up, that is a different problem.

You say you have the boiler set to max. On a cold day, does it run continuously this suggests the boiler is undersized for your house.

Do you have TRVs, or some other way of preventing the best-heated rooms getting warmer and warmer while the cooler rooms still need heat?

How much insulation do you have in the roof and walls?

Thanks John

JohnD said:
If you find that the walls (in particular) are thick, cold and uninsuklated, and take a long time to warm up, that is a different problem.

Yes the hallway (which is where the Room stat is located) is very cold as are the walls. Is the different problem you refer to heat escaping?

JohnD said:
You say you have the boiler set to max. On a cold day, does it run continuously this suggests the boiler is undersized for your house.

The boiler doesn't run on constantly, but it does switch on and off a lot.

JohnD said:
Do you have TRVs, or some other way of preventing the best-heated rooms getting warmer and warmer while the cooler rooms still need heat?

I have TRV's on all but the hallway rad and a towell rad.

JohnD said:
How much insulation do you have in the roof and walls?

The insulation in the roof is wafer thin, but this is due to be replaced. There is no cavity wall insulation.

Sponsored Links
I think the answer depends on the type of wall construction you have.

9 inch Solid brick walls are better insulators if kept dry. If they are allowed to fall below the dew point they get damp and become less insulating. If you're in the house every day I would leave the heating on constantly and turn the room stat down before bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back