CH Vent and cold feed on boiler return - is this a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new house, and the person who installed a new boiler some time ago took the easy route, connecting to the exisiitng pipework despite it making the pipe runs hugely long. The system seems to work - standard open vent system, with oil boiler. However, the boiler vent and the cold feed from the expansion tank are connected into the return to the boiler just underneath the expansion tank (the boiler is on the ground floor) - is this a problem? My major concern is that the vent and the feed are after the zone valve for the CH - so if only the HW is on, there is no vent other than on the return from the CH which is not actually on! It also means that the boiler would have to vent against the return from from the HW tank - this cant be correct can it?

Sponsored Links
i would say this was sometthing to be urgently attended to, although it hasnt caused a problem up to now, if/when there is a prob the near boiling water wont get up the vent

Kirkgas - problem is, how to fix it? I could connect vent to CH supply, but it would be after the valve, and also the pump - result is same. I could move the valve for the CH right up to the point where the vent ( lazy plumbing - couldnt be bothered to re-route radiator feeds) is, but then I have a worse problem - vent will be before CH valve, but after pump - so the resitance met when CH valve closes with HW on will force all the hot pumped water up the vent!

So what are my options?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back