CH won't fire up but pilot light is on....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya
I hope someone would be kind enough to help out...?

My hubby removed the livingroom radiator for decorating, then replaced it today. However, now we have a problem. We restarted the flow to the header tank, bled all the rads in the house, and turned on the CH. The pilot light is lit but the CH will not fire up. Therefore we have no hot water or heat. Its feezing here in North Wales and I haven't showered in 48hrs! YUCK!

Can anyone suggest ANYTHING that we can try...?

Thank you for your time
SAM xx

Sponsored Links
When you say you 'restarted the flow to the header tank', what exactely did you do to stop the flow to the header tank? i.e. before you removed the Rad and after you replaced it?

We tied off the ballcock, then released it when we had finished. The room stat is fine. CH/HW will not work - its not one its both!
SAM xx

Sponsored Links
No idea why hubby tied it off - to stop it filling the system while he tried to empty it I suppose? No switches have been changed at all. The CH/HW was turned to frost but thats it....
SAMxx

Make sure any motorised vales were open while refilling.
Bleed thepump. Boiler may have lit and overheated due to having no water so look for overheat button.
Sorry not psychic - what's the boiler?

We've bled the pump - there is water in the pump, rather than air.

No overheat button to be found.

The boiler has fired a couple of times but only for about 1min at a time. This is triggered only by turning boiler thermostst up to full.

The type of boiler: not sure of make/model etc but its NOT a combi, NOT a condensing, so I suppose its just a standard boiler! Sorry, can you tell I don't know wheat I'm talking about? Hubby isn't much better either.

Thanks for your suggestions - please keep them coming.

Cheers
SAM xx

look at the room stat on the wall, check that it is at 20. if switched to low setting this can happen what you are describing.Also I know this is a daft suggestion but do check your programmer.
I also agree about the reset button but without anymore info its hard to tell. is the pilot lit? If so and it only lights up for a few seconds then the problem could lie with the boiler, so get an engineer out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back