Chainsaw PPE for a smaller guy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get kitted out with chaps and the rest, I've seen some good kits from trusted brands but all "one size fits all". At 5' 6" with a 32" waist and small hands, I worry these will be overly large.

Do gloves have to be special chainsaw ones, like the trousers, or just generic tough ones for general protection... I already have some of these and I have some ear protection though no head protection.

I wonder if chaps can be shortened or if their special padding would ruin a sewing machine the same as a chainsaw bar?!

Sponsored Links
Just get trousers, available in the normal range of sizes
You should really get some chainsaw boots too, to protect your feet.

Gloves aren't really necessary.

Easiest form of head/face protection is a basic forestry helmet with ear defenders and mesh visor

Are the trouser ones over-trousers? I worry about overheating wearing thick trousers over my jeans in the summer!

Sponsored Links
Probably because it's only 2... Rare enough to make it unusual?

What do you do to get the blade on your chest? Smacking you in the head is apparently common... Maybe getting pulled into the saw when it pinches?

What do you do to get the blade on your chest? Smacking you in the head is apparently common

This has fortunately never happened to me but, AFAIUI, if the chain gets caught the whole machine can kick back at you. I would expect it to pivot around the front hand so the tip can come up to your head.

I can sort of see that if the chainsaw (or you) moves sideways during this then it could hit your chest (or more likely shoulder) but I would not expect that to be common.

Probably because it's only 2... Rare enough to make it unusual?

I found this
http://www.bchw.org/Tech tips/SawCertification/chain_body.gif
which claims to be based on official US numbers and supports your suggestion.

Oh just to muddy the water even more, you get different chain speed ratings. Most for sale are class 1
" Class 1 products are tested with a chainsaw speed of 20m/s. Class 2 products at 24m/s and Class 3 at 28m/s."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back