Good first chainsaw for firewood and low-level pruning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty terrified of the things but since moving to the country with 1/2 acre garden full of mature frees, I'm increasingly feeling it is a fairly essential tool.

I have no delusions of getting up into the trees - the tree surgeon can gladly be paid for that - but chopping up felled wood and pruning are things I can do myself.

An experienced friend had a little look online and reckoned for the Husqvarna 236 (14" bar) at £120 is a great option in terms of size/price - it even comes assembled and checked: https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqvarna-236-chainsaw.html

Would others agree?

I already have face protection but not special gloves or trousers or other gear.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I bought an electric one, as I didn't want to be tempted to go away from home.
I think they are safer, when they are off they are off. I see petrol ones where the chain still moves when not in gear.

Chainsaw is too much for pruning, other options for chopping timber up, I use recip saw and chop saw to prepare my timber for the wood burner.

Would they cope with bigger bits - we had a beech with trunk 18-24" diameter, left in rounds 9-12" thick. I was recommended a splitter but they don't seem suited for such large bits. What'd you recommend for that?

Sponsored Links
Really? That's a big lump of wood - I can only barely lift each round!

The tree surgeon who felled it recommended a splitter or chainsaw if I don't want to spend weeks chopping the several tons of wood he's created for me, my splitting ax is a decent one but even so...

Machine Marts Clarke log splitters are excellent, as is the Stihl MS181 chainsaw, if you are looking for recommendations!
John :)

I bought an electric one, as I didn't want to be tempted to go away from home.
I think they are safer, when they are off they are off. I see petrol ones where the chain still moves when not in gear.

If this is the case it's faulty. All chainsaws have a 'hand' brake for when it's not in use.

OP, give consideration to a recip saw and some decent pruning and demolition blades. Might be a little more work but much safer, cheaper and environmentally friendly.

I've got a reciprocating saw though I wasn't hugely impressed - got a Dewalt with their own blades for outdoor stuff. To cut a 6" girth yew tree down took quite a while... a chain would've taken about 5s I reckon :)
And of course it's amazing how good a decent hand pruning saw is!

I've got a reciprocating saw though I wasn't hugely impressed - got a Dewalt with their own blades for outdoor stuff. To cut a 6" girth yew tree down took quite a while... a chain would've taken about 5s I reckon :)
And of course it's amazing how good a decent hand pruning saw is!

Are you using blades fit for purpose and wedges to stop the blade from pinching? A chainsaw isn't much quicker if you're not helping it do the job.

Blades yes... wedges no. I mean it was better than using a hand saw but it wasn't getting stuck... just not the knife through butter I'd expected.

Dewalt DWE305PK-GB Reciprocating Saw, 240 V
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZQPBZQ

Unless these blades are not the super rough ones, though I thought they were

Blades yes... wedges no. I mean it was better than using a hand saw but it wasn't getting stuck... just not the knife through butter I'd expected.

Dewalt DWE305PK-GB Reciprocating Saw, 240 V
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZQPBZQ

Unless these blades are not the super rough ones, though I thought they were

I'd say those blades aren't suited to what you want them to do.

ae235.jpg
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-s1531l-reciprocating-saw-blades-wood-240mm-5-pack/71339

@d000hg I can't comment on the Husqvarna. A friend, with more experience in the area, recommended a couple of chainsaws and I bought a Stihl MS171, https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/product/stihl-ms-171-petrol-chainsaw

I have been very happy with it. I think I have less land than you (I have c. a third of an acre) and a lot of my trees [1] are not that old, self-sown laurel & holly up to 8" thick. So a lot of cutting down I do by hand and just use the chainsaw for biggest / hardest cuts and for cutting up felled pieces.

However in autumn 2016 a 30' tall oak (dead for several years) fell down. It was 18-24" thick and I cut it up into lengths and dealt with it okay. A 12" bar s/b enough for that but it lying down making the other side inaccessible, so I bought a 14" bar & chain which made a huge difference.

1. That is the ones I will work on. I have plenty of older & larger trees but there is a TPO covering hundreds of houses here so I can't do much to them (not that I want to), and as they date from the 1860s they are large enough that I would get a tree surgeon in to deal with them.

For stove use it needs storing for a couple of years, will be easier to cut then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back