Pruning saw where chainsaw isnt allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have chainsaws and have cut up my own timber for several years so am pretty up to speed with that side of things. Timber is becoming harder to come by near me and I have spoken to the Forestry Commision who say I can collect timber that is on the forest floor at a couple of my local forests. Chainsaws strictly forbidden though!

For a bit of fun with the kids we plan to do this on weekends and collect free timber. I will have to cut the limbs to length to fit in the trailer and am looking for advice on what manual method to use. I have a very small Fiskers pruning saw which I use in the garden and im very impressed with it. This has got me thinking about pruning saws such as Silky's but my local saw shop sells these from about £40-100!!

I will be looking to cut limbs up to about 12" dia max and dont mind spending £50-60 but do these pruning saw blades stay sharp for a long time? Or are they meant for the odd branch before a forester fells a tree.

Any other suggestions of what to use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd go for the largest bow saw you can get, and a few quality blades.......a 12" limb is going to take some cutting!
John :)

+1

30 Inch Bow Saw with a couple of spare blades. I can't justify the expense of a chainsaw and use my Bow Saw lots. As long as the wood isn't too wet/green it will do the job.

Silkys are good, and last a while, they only work on the pull though.

What about a battery operated reciprocating saw, although this is a pricey option as you'll need a couple of 4ah batteries.

Sponsored Links
Again, a bow saw is the way forward with this, I managed to cut s tree down in the back garden with one quite happily, although I then bought a chain saw for the otber three...

I collect logs now, when trees have blown down & are at the side of the road. I use a bow saw, drop the seats in the car so I can get long lengths in. When I get home use the chain saw, I have plenty of time & its very rewarding & therapeutic.

I collect logs now, when trees have blown down & are at the side of the road. I use a bow saw, drop the seats in the car so I can get long lengths in. When I get home use the chain saw, I have plenty of time & its very rewarding & therapeutic.

Irrespective of who the trees belong to ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back