Which chainsaw manufacturer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be felling and chopping up 7 or so rather large trees, and pruning laurel bushes that line the border of an acre plot in the next 3 months, so I've decided to invest in a chainsaw. I've not bought one before because of the dangers they impose but I have finally had enough of chopping and cutting trees by hand.

I like the look of the Stihl MS181 CBE 16" as it comes with an easy chain tensioner and Stihl make great stuff, but my budget doesn't stretch that far, so I've been looking at the McCulloch Mac 8-42 and the Ryobi RCS-4040CA chainsaws which I can buy for about £150 each.

I have heard good things about both manufacturers and I am unsure which are considered the best and why? Any advice on which to buy would be appreciated. :cool:

Sponsored Links
I reckon that Stihl is the one to go for, followed by Husqvarna - but of the more diy saws, the Ryobi is better than the McCulloch. I only say this for spares availability regarding the latter two. Always use the recommended oil for it though, and increase the mixture from 50:1 to 25:1. Clean the air filter at least twice daily and it'll last you a long time. Cheers John :)

I've had a Mac for 7 years now, it's a great wee saw. It's no worse that the Stihls or Husqvarnas that I've used. I've no idea why one wouldn't follow the manufacturers instructions re oil, I'm sure they know best. Also, I've only cleaned my air filter twice in the last seven years.

Fair comment Stivino but I do hire these things out, and that means trouble big time....most of the hirers use 25:1 mix, and if the saw is used all day then the air filter will get blocked - the same applies for stone cutting saws, and if filter cleaning is ignored (which it always is) then massive cylinder wear results. I agree that a sensible DIYer shouldn't have these problems. Cheers John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the opinions guys. Seems that the consensus as to which of the two manufacturers is best is split 50/50! I'm pretty sure I'll be buying either the Ryobi or the McCulloch chain saws but considering reviewers rate them both about as good/bad as each other and the specifications are basically exactly the same, as are the prices, it's difficult to know which to go for. Spare parts seem a little easier to get for the Mac though.

I've only had to buy a new chain and bar for my Mac, it was only £20-£25 and very readily available because it's the same as many others.

Stivino, is your Mac a sturdy built machine? I've not seen either chainsaw in the flesh, but the Ryobi looks really plasticy in photographs. I've heard stories of Ryobi's breaking due to being made of cheap plastic. The Mac looks more robust? Cheers

According to some info I found online from a chainsaw retailer, McCulloch is part of the Husqvarna family.

Also dont forget decent protective wear, most tools i'm a bit lax on the PPE but with a chainsaw you dont usually get a second chance.

The Mac is sturdy enough for what I do with it. Mainly I'm cutting logs for firewood but now and again I fell a tree or two. I've cut logs from 6" to trunks 30" diameter with it. I use it to make my kindling too, old floorboards etc. It's starts easily every time no matter how long I go between jobs. Keep the chain and bar in good condition and it's much easier on the engine. And, use the proper anti-fling oil for the chain.

Sounds like a great saw. Thanks for your opinions. I just ordered a Mac 8-42, 2 stroke and chain oil. I'll be sure to keep it all in good condition and well maintained. Just looking into protective kit now.

i imagine he's bought it and possibly killed himself with it by now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back