chainsaw advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some trees chopped down and removed, but the stumps were left becauase they were too big/expensive to remove. I plan to dig around them and have a go at cutting them up. One is a thick sycamore, which is solid hardwood. I'm thinking of buying a chainsaw for the job and was wondering what I should look for. Obviously it will have to be petrol, but what size engine? are there any aprticular features which will help with stumps? what are the relevent specs to look for? As I know nothing about chainsaws (or engines for that matter) any advice would be appreciated. Also, would a second hand petrol chainsaw be any good. There are a lot of mccollach ones going in the bargain pages, are they any good?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd pay someone to do it - might seem expensive but it will be much cheaper than new legs....
Ive only used one once to have a play (as you do...) and not long after that the chainsaw chap had an accident, I havnt used one since and probably never will. They are dangerous and IMO should be sold without a license.

Do NOT use a chainsaw to do the stumps. From a practical point of view as soon as the chain hits the soil around it (and it will) it will blunt the chain. That means it will need to be resharpened several times. It is better to use a stump grinder. You can get someone in to do them (normally about 30-40 a stump) or hire one out for the day (about 50) and they are very easy to use.

From a chainsaw point of view, they are the most lethal tools you can use, and very unfogiving in the wrong hands. That is why in the commercial world you need to do a week long course before you get the qualification. If you are going to buy a decent chainsaw (for what you want to do your looking at about 250 upwards) you also need to buy the protective trousers/gloves and helmet (about another 100-150)

You should be able to find someone who can grind them iut fairly easily, but doing it yourself with a stump grinder really is fairly easy.

Please take it from someone that uses chainsaws for work, they are dangerous and need to be treated with enormous respect. I take chances with many other tools (ie not wearing gloves or goggles sometimes) but i dont take any risks with a chainsaw.

I'd second that, pay to get the stumps ground out, you really don't want to be messing with chainsaws. I'm no pro, and I sold mine, as it is the only tool I owned that I was afraid of. I know I'm a wimp, but I also respect the power of these things.

Mind you didn't help that the one I bought was a very powerful Sthil one with an 18" blade and no protective gear. Silly boy !!

Sponsored Links
First of all, if you do get one you will need PPE (personal protective equipment). A minimum of of helmet with wire visor and ear protection, chainsaw gloves, steel toe boots, chainsaw foot protectors, chainsaw trousers or dungarees. Total cost around £200-£250. Only a fool would power one up without.

You need to be very fit. These things are heavy and if you fatigue quickly you are more likely to have an accident and it wont be a graze!

A chainsaw is absolutely no good for stump removal as mentioned previous, the soil will dull the chain in no time. You will also probably hit the odd stone and risk kick back if the saw should jam in the stump. A stump grinder is a better bet.

Normally with trees, they are cut with a good 6ft of stump left, to give good leverage, so that you can dig and pull the stump free. I have removed stumps with a 20-30" circumference in this manner.

Mind you didn't help that the one I bought was a very powerful Sthil one with an 18" blade and no protective gear. Silly boy !!

very silly! still (or is that stihl!)i was taught its actually safer to have a more powerful one than one thats underpowered. Thats why the electric ones are so crap. I wish the likes of b&q etc were banned from selling them.

Thermo said:

very silly! still (or is that stihl!)i was taught its actually safer to have a more powerful one than one thats underpowered. Thats why the electric ones are so rubbish. I wish the likes of b&q etc were banned from selling them.

Bought it in my mid twenties so I was invincible. Sold it in my mid thirties when I knew the truth :!: Luckily I lived and learnt. :D

point taken about the chainsaw. Now about these stump grinders: how big are they? because I don't have great access to my back yard. I will need to get one through the house. Is that possible?
Also,
* the area around the stump is very bumpy. does it need to be on flat ground?
* roughly, how long would it take to grind down a 1m diametre hardwood stump?
* would I need access to all sides of the stump? there are fences leaning close to the stump (it's near the back corner of the garden.)
* are they easy to manouvre about? because there are a few obstacles in the way. eg. small retaining wall (3 bricks high) and a few steps.

thanks.

Yes you can get it through a normal doorway, ive taken them through houses, you just have to make sure the fuel tanks empty and then you can turn them on their side. Its a two man job to carry them through though.

No they dont need to be on flat ground. they have a brake on one wheel that lets you move them from side to side whilst working the stump, which also stops it moving down hill.

No need to worry about access on all sides, you just work into it.

it would take about 1hr if your not used to it and if its quite a hard stump.

Easy to manuovre.

Most places like travis perkins hss etc will hire them and deliver and pick them up as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back