Chainsaw

"Chainsaw" gloves have cut protection on the back of the left hand, this harks back to a time when chainsaws didn't have brakes or hand guards.

On a modern saw with inertia brake and proper hand guard (not chinese mickey mouse) the gloves would offer you virtually no extra protection.
Wear standard work gloves to keep your hands warm, anything else is a false sense of security.

I've never heard of anyone's chainsaw gloves saving them from injury, but plenty of times when boots/trousers have
I don't think you are going to be believed, so you are probably not going to increase the chances of people being injured.
But damn that is some irresponsible and Ill informed input right there.
People use chainsaws with all sorts of levels of expertise, sadly, and in all sorts of less than ideal circumstances. Hold it in the wrong way, generate a kick back that does not activate the inertia chain brake, you name it.... If it can go wrong it will go wrong and like I said you don't get many chances to cut your hand and get away with it.
TBH it reads to me like advising that if you have a.b.s you don't need a seat belt. A stretch, but not much of one. To be continued....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
so,. If you want to go looking they are still there looking much like they did when I did my ARB course 23 years ago. Accident records still show an awful lot of life changing hand injuries. If you think the chain brake will always work, you are crazy. If you think the hand guard will always work you are deluded. The kinetic energy in a chainsaw is phenomenal. It feels and behaves just lovely until it's gone wrong and then it skips to past tense and something happened that was a bit of a blur and you are counting your fingers or trying not to go into shock.
Telling people that chainsaw gloves are some kind of anachronistic unecessity thanks to modern features is a gross underestimation of the formidable danger of chainsaws and an abominable disservice to fingers everywhere.

Last edited:
And as for

I've never heard of anyone's chainsaw gloves saving them from injury, but plenty of times when boots/trousers have
FFS, where have you been 'listening' for people to say this?
You have never heard of anyone's gloves saving them from an injury?
Well that's that then eh ?

Chainsaw gloves are a pain to wear compared to builders gloves,.... Because they are built to argue with a chainsaw chain. Bulky and good at what they do. You are more likely to cut your hand than any other body part by a long way.

If gloves work AT ALL, EVER then chainsaw gloves are better for chainsaw accidents than builders gloves.

Don't dissuade anyone from using safety gear. Please.

Last edited:
FFS, where have you been 'listening' for people to say this?
You have never heard of anyone's gloves saving them from an injury?
Well that's that then eh ?

Genuine question - have you seen or heard of someone being saved from injury to the back of their left hand by chainsaw gloves?

Do you still use the chainsaw in your line of work?

Sponsored Links
Q1 No

Q2. No

Is it as simple as that?

Q1. Is a neat question but one that misinforms a great deal and leads to a sampling bias that should not be the basis for recommending a novice not buy proper chainsaw safety gloves.
Q2. ?????

How about ..

Q3.

Do you know of anyone that would have been saved from an injury had they worn chainsaw gloves?

There’s me, and the tens of thousands of people that injure themselves with chainsaws.

The large majority of chainsaw injuries are to the left hand.

Is this not true?

Once you include me and the other tens of thousands in your answer to Q3, all that remains is to debate whether chainsaw gloves, by design, offer better protection than builders gloves.

When have you ever heard anyone say that chainsaw gloves are better than builders gloves?...
I have never heard that said. But I don't base my answer on the absence of a few opinions.

Chainsaw gloves are not pleasant to wear. For comfort I would agree with your advice on wearing builders gloves. But comfort takes second place to safety- hence 'safety first'.

But, after using a saw for about 4 years every day, I finally quit wearing gloves. I was good at using the saw, knew the pitfalls had some near misses and was surrounded by people that had, in their safety careers 'quit’ gloves sooner than I had. We all thought they were not ‘a thing’. And
then I cut myself. The people that worked with me, started to wear gloves, and as far as I am aware still do.

Take care with a sampling bias when advising other people not to bother using safety equipment.
IMG_20200319_073036.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back