Afforable chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got my hands on a complete oak tree as fuel for my wood burner. The tree company have felled the tree into chunks but i ned to further cut them down so they can season. There is a lot of oak. Estimates around 10 tons. I ned a chainsaw but cannot stretch to a Stihl. Any ideas on any other decent saws. I dont want cheap, just something half decent that would do the job. Thankyou in advance.

Sponsored Links
A cheap McCulloch or similar with a 14" or 16" bar from one of the sheds will be sufficient for your needs. I'd expect to pay between £100 to £140.

Thanks Stivino. I have added a further enquiry under the 'in the garden section'. Not sure if you can help with that.

Thanks.

stihl are not expensive if you want one that will last. a 14" bar one to deal with what you need for this and the future will only cost in the region of £200.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you get some safety gear and learn how to sharpen it properly.

Depending on the length of the 'chunks' you might do better using a timber maul and wedges to split them. Green oak usually splits quite easily, and you may find it quicker to do the job this way (and less capital outlay than a chainsaw).

A 10ton oak tree is likely to have a trunk diameter in excess of 3ft if you are not experienced with a chain saw it is extreamly dangerous to try cutting with a saw that has too short a bar as the tip will be in the cut and the risk of kickback is high. You want at least a 24" bar (preferably 30+)and a big saw to power it. That would be a big husky or |Stihl £500+ and a couple of hundred for safety gear.

A smaller saw as suggested above would do for branches, as a rule of thumb you can safely cut 2" dia less than the bar, so a 14" bar saw is OK for stuff upto 12" dia

Jason

It's a different matter when the trunk it lying on the ground because you can cut through half of it then roll it over.
The 8"-10" slices don't need anymore cutting, you chop that round the edges with an axe now and put the pieces in your fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back