Chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Total beginner looking for a chainsaw to do some small tree felling. They are not big, perhaps 10" tops, I don't know whether or not to go petrol, battery or corded. Something I may only use the once so budget around £150 is perhaps my limit. Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
The only thing I'd say is that chain saws are particularly dangerous pieces of kit (there have been a lot of accidents with them, because they can kick back easily, leading to tight legislative controls on their use in trade environments) and that if you've never used one you really should try to get some proper training and consider buying some appropriate safety clothing as well - that or consider non power alternatives.

The only thing I'd say is that chain saws are particularly dangerous pieces of kit (there have been a lot of accidents with them, because they can kick back easily, leading to tight legislative controls on their use in trade environments) and that if you've never used one you really should try to get some proper training and consider buying some appropriate safety clothing as well - that or consider non power alternatives.

After considering all of this, i would personally go for an electric chainsaw.
I used to have a petrol, i used it less and less and every year it was a mission to start it despite the "summer preparation".
So for the occasional user, i suggest an electric chainsaw, especially if the jobs are small.
Safety first of all though as JobaAndKnock said.

First things first.

1) Training course
2) Safety gear, will cost more than the saw, but I guess you value your body parts and if you don't, you should
3) Saw, personally I'd go for a Stihl MS171 with a 12 inch bar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I have bought the over trousers, ear defenders, gloves and mask. I think I will go for a battery or corded one. I won't be using it that much and my local college does a weekend course on chainsaw safety I will look into. Thank you all

If you are going for a cordless model Makita do a couple of good 18 volt models (18 volt single battery model DUC254 c. £160 bare, 2 x 18 volt dual battery models DUC405 c. £200 bare or DUC353 c. £180 bare, although there is currently an Italian seller on eBay offering these at £123....), however, whilst the bare tool itself comes within your budget you'd need to spend at least an extra £25 for the charger and a further £50 to £60 for a single 5.0 Ah 18 volt battery or £100 to £120 for two if you get a dual battery model (and as this is a high power consumption tool the smallest useable battery size is really going to be a 5 Amp model, or at a pinch a 4 Amp jobbie)

So I think your budget may be a tad low, especially as you also need to budget for at least one spare chain, some chain lube and either sharpening or a cheap chain sharpening tool (chains need to be sharpened regularly as blunt chains are really hazardous to work with)

You can also hire one from a lot of tool hire places, it will be petrol, though.

I bought the titan a couple of years ago from screw fix for a one off job in the garden, cutting down some leylandi about 1 foot thick. It made the job very easy and it was only £50

Total beginner looking for a chainsaw to do some small tree felling. They are not big, perhaps 10" tops, I don't know whether or not to go petrol, battery or corded. Something I may only use the once so budget around £150 is perhaps my limit. Any advice appreciated. Thank you

As others have said , training safety first. Don't even think about using one without watching a few 10min plus safety videos online.

ALWAYS use gloves face protection right trousers and boots. Cut below waste level nothing above.

I wouldn't even bother with Petrol. I would go for an electric cheapo cheap 2nd hand (if you are handy and buy a new chain for it) or a new electric.

Then this will give you a good idea without spending too much at all.

I love my chainsaws can't live without them, i have a Stihl Ms181 for pruning and a much bigger brother for logging etc.

Don't bother with "chainsaw" gloves, they don't really offer you any extra protection on a modern saw with chainbrake/hand guard.
Put the money towards chainsaw rated boots.

How thick are the trunks/ branches. I used a Sawzall to take down some heavy branches an it was a lot safer than running a chainsaw imho.

Don't bother with "chainsaw" gloves, they don't really offer you any extra protection on a modern saw with chainbrake/hand guard.
Put the money towards chainsaw rated boots.

Get and wear gloves.
No saw will ever mitigate against user error. Virtually all accidents are caused by the user.
So many ways to set yourself up for an accident without knowing it unless you have had a solid period of learning the right way. Many cuts, many positions, many limbs under many types of stress.
Chainsaw v's hand injuries are usually all or nothing without gloves. You will very much dislike buying and wearing your gloves until they take a hit for your amazingly undervalued hands.

Get and wear gloves.
No saw will ever mitigate against user error. Virtually all accidents are caused by the user.
So many ways to set yourself up for an accident without knowing it unless you have had a solid period of learning the right way. Many cuts, many positions, many limbs under many types of stress.
Chainsaw v's hand injuries are usually all or nothing without gloves. You will very much dislike buying and wearing your gloves until they take a hit for your amazingly undervalued hands.

"Chainsaw" gloves have cut protection on the back of the left hand, this harks back to a time when chainsaws didn't have brakes or hand guards.

On a modern saw with inertia brake and proper hand guard (not chinese mickey mouse) the gloves would offer you virtually no extra protection.
Wear standard work gloves to keep your hands warm, anything else is a false sense of security.

I've never heard of anyone's chainsaw gloves saving them from injury, but plenty of times when boots/trousers have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back