Advice on chainsaw purchase

Looks neat, but it says only suits a particular type of chain, will need to confirm if that is what is fitted to the 236

It's a complete system, chain (and bar I think) and sharpening stone and holder; but you can't use the sharpening stone on other chains. The shop changed the chain over for me, and supplied the sharpening system with it. You fit the stone over the end of the chain, and set the saw running, and then push it against the wall for a second, and hey presto, the chains sharpened - 9 minutes saved.

Sponsored Links
Please don't forget your PPE that will probably cost more than the saw, bit it can't be overstated how dangerous they can be. It is definitely worth investing in some training. As for the saw I have to say I am happy with my sthil ms271 18" bar.

I've used chainsaws for many years now and have been on the appropriate training courses so I feel qualified to comment on this thread.
Whatever you do, don't lift your saw up to shoulder level to cut a tree or anything else for that matter. That just happens to be where your neck and head are.
If that chain touches you, it won't be a nice clean cut that a couple of stitches will fix.
Cut the tree at the bottom, then it's only one cut. Have a look on the internet to see how the experts do it. Wear proper safety gear, chainsaw legging have Kevlar in them to clog up the chain so that it stops quickly therefore minimising the damage to you.
I've used many makes of "professional" saws but the one I use for use in my garden, is a McCulloch 838 with a 14" blade, I've had it for 15 years and it's done a lot of work. It's easy to work on and parts are readily available and cheap. A 14" blade will be plenty long enough to cut what you've got. Remember that you've got to carry it around all day and you don't want to be carry around excess weight, it's tiring. Anything more that 14" would be like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I won't recommend any particular brand, that's a matter of personal preference and budget.
If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back