railway sleepers!

Yes, never use a bow saw for cutting small branches, they tend to bounce out of the saw cut (and onto the thumb of the hand being used to cling on with...)

:idea: Use a pair of loppers :rolleyes:

:D

Sponsored Links
I used the most coarse bladed stanley jetcut handsaw to chop some sleepers down to size. It didn't take half as long as I thought it would and was quite good exercise!!!!! Old sleepers are a little softer than you think.

Oil leaking out is a big issue.

I know a company that sells and can cut them - however they might have a minimum order qty as they deal more in large commercial type stuff :

http://www.marwoodgroup.co.uk/product.php?PID=101

some are soft some are as hard as iron

sleepers used for points and crossing are usualy jarrow
or simmilar hard wood

big all

I've cut them with a chainsaw, I also use this method for rough cutting green oak beams for timber framing. If you are using one get the propper clothing - gloves, boots, visor and overtrowsers may cost a bit but what price for one of your limbs?

You need a certificate to buy the small one handed chainsaws that are used up a tree (thats one handed operation NOT operator)

A safer method if you are not happy with a chainsaw is to cut from both sides with a circular saw,

All modern chainsaws have a brake fitted that is activated by inertia such as the blade jaming or jumping upwards, My big Husquvarna also has Metal pigs to catch the chain should it jump off or snap

You can get new oak sleeper for not much more than reclaimed ones, not sure where you are but here,s a link to a local sawmill that I use Quite often

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/scottimber/beams-boards.htm

Jason

Sponsored Links
This is a sobering piece of data, from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission Report on Chain-Saw Related Accidents in 1999:

The average chain saw injury requires 110 stitches.

From the same report:

Accident location and frequency related to chain saw use (totals for 1999)

Head Area - 2,686
Upper Body - 2,452
Hand Area - 10,200
Upper Leg, Knee, Lower Leg - 10,310
Foot Area - 1,872
TOTAL - 27,520

BR said:
Having little experience of chainsaw use, i was just wondering what happens if you hit a nail or piece of metal for example with the chain. Will it damage the chain?, stop? send a piece of metal flying?
Reflect on the fact that when protesters want to stop trees being felled, they go round banging long nails and iron spikes into them. Doesn't harm the tree, but it puts a serious dent in the ability and willingness of loggers and sawmills to do their thing.

Here's another thought. Given the plumbing arrangements for train toilets, what else are sleepers covered with apart from tar and creosote?

tmansaw.gif

Cross cut saw .... needs two persons .. keeps both well clear of cut ... good exercise too !
See here

Take care with creosoted timber ... DTI Factsheet

P

ban-all-sheds said:
Here's another thought. Given the plumbing arrangements for train toilets, what else are sleepers covered with apart from tar and creosote?

spot on b a s
although now most of the slam door suburban trains have gone

and modern trains have retension toilets
used to pity the poor fitters changing the brake blocks :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back