Replacement Chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My budget 6 year old chainsaw is starting to play up & I’m looking for a replacement. Ideally 18” (which I currently have) but not less than 16”. It will be used throughout the year but not commercially just in & around a large garden, trimming, occasional tree lopping & cutting up wood/logs for the fire. I initially looked at Stihl which seem to be the professionals choice; very nice but very expensive, are they really worth all that money? McCulloch seem like a good compromise? Or are they all much of a much ness & just as good as another £85 Chinese import off Ebay? The problems with my existing one are my fault I think as a while back I ran it on a tank full of fuel with no oil in & it's not been the same since. :rolleyes:

Any alternatives/experiences/thoughts gratefully received. ;)

Sponsored Links
I've got a wee MacCulloch that I've had for 9 years. I keep it for the same purpose as you. I've put a new bar and chain on it and it's never missed a beat.

I have to say Stihl every time.....2 year private warranty (1 year trade)
excellent parts and back up and all my gear is Stihl or Husqvarna now.....
but thats just me!
John :)

It's horses for courses though, a small hobby type Stihl would've been about three times more than than my wee Mac which, has done the job admirably.
I've had a Stihl, Husqvarna and a Jonsered in the past but I have to say my wee Mac has performed as well as any of the others.

Sponsored Links
Spent another couple of hours today stripping the old saw, cleaning filters, plug, carb, exhaust etc. in an attempt to save myself some money - starts & idles OK but dies as soon as you open the throttle. In the end I gave up & ordered a Manufacturer refurbished 16” McCulloch MAC 740 off Ebay; as new factory return they say :confused: . May have another go at the old one sometime & stick it back in the local auction where I bought it new but fussy 2 strokes were never my forte :rolleyes: .

After a lot of deliberation, I decided I couldn’t justify the cost a Stihl & nearly went for the MAC 842 but 30% more for just a couple of extra features :!: interestingly I discovered that McCulloch were taken over by Husqvarna AB after they went broke in 1999 so they are the same company now; thanks again for your input. ;)

It could be worth putting some new carb diaphragms in some day, but good luck with the new saw!
I thought McCulloch were Electrolux - or have I dreamt that?
I'm getting a few Stihl's in with chain bar oil feed issues (MS range) - as a hobby saw they are just a wee bit on the poor build side.

It could be worth putting some new carb diaphragms in some day, but good luck with the new saw!
I’ve got enough raw felled seasoned timber to last me 3 years & enough still standing to last me out! But I will need the saw by the end of next week as I’m running out of cut logs. I will probably have a look at the oldie sometime but must admit my hearts not in it these days & it only cost me 40 quid new!
I thought McCulloch were Electrolux - or have I dreamt that?
This is where I found the info; http://www.answerbag.co.uk/q_view/2236192 but I’m sure you’re aware that internet accuracy cannot always be guaranteed; seems kosher though.
I'm getting a few Stihl's in with chain bar oil feed issues (MS range) - as a hobby saw they are just a wee bit on the poor build side.
Not that familiar with the difference in Stihl, didn’t even know they did a budget range; but I suppose they all make horses for courses &, for me, paying 400 quid for a chain saw is never going to happen. So do repair them? Could you have flogged me a genuine refurb Stihl?

My budget saw chain bar oil feed never worked from day one & I always had to use an oil can but I’ve got another cheap & nasty pole saw which I use for the hedge which works perfectly, hence my wondering if I should just buy another cheap Chinese jobby; I’m sure the Mac will be a better bet though.
Cheers John ;)

I thought I was onto an earner, supplying punters with a (hire) machine whilst I fixed theirs - but when I saw the state they came back in, I'm not so sure..... Ryobi saw clutch had got so hot the casing had melted and seized the clutch solid....chain bar oil used instead of the kosher 2 stroke oil mixture......some git had used a normal chain for cutting stone :eek: Nowt left of the chain at all
TS400 Stihl saw reversed over by a truck :rolleyes: The list goes on. The users weren't being deliberately careless, they were just thick!
I'm in profit (just) but I thought I'd have made twice what I did.
Good luck with your new saw, and don't lend it out....if the bar oil feed fails, try running some kero through the tank before dismantling it.....occasionally it keeps the oil moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back