Reciprocating Saw for Firewood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm considering an 18V cordless reciprocating saw for cutting firewood, up to about 150mm. I'd prefer to avoid a chainsaw (cost, faff, noise). 'Fuel wood' blades seem to be available so I guess this isn't a completely mad idea - but in practice is this likely to be workable? Am I likely to get a reasonable number of cuts per charge (and per blade come to that)?

Regards and thanks,
Neal

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I use an 18v reciprocating saw for cutting just about everything! The blades last quite a while providing you use quality blades. The battery seems to last a while cutting a fair bit of stuff.

I'd say two batteries are a must as they don't gradually go, they suddenly lose power. The saw pulls a helluva lot of current from them.

Hope this helps.

not a naff idea, safe and easy to use. i use them all the time for landscaping work eg fence posts etc. if you dont intend going far from the house with it then get a mains powered one rather than a battery. Much safer than a chainsaw and cheaper.

What about an electric chainsaw, you can get one for the same price as a recipricating saw. I've got a 16" Ryobi that is just as powerful as my petrol Tenaka with the same size bar. Bought it for cutting up timber for woodturning as I didn't think the neighbours would like me starting up the petrol one on a Sunday Morning.

Jason

Sponsored Links
if you are not used to a chain saw, and have not had some form of instruction, or the safety gear to go with it, i would err away from a chainsaw, especially electric ones as they are underpowered and more dangerous. They are a nasty accident waiting to happen, even when youve done the courses and wear the gear. Ill use a chainsaw as a last resort, when im working

Thanks for the advice! I'll go for a cordless recip. I have had some basic chainsaw training as it happens, and can borrow one and the protective gear if really necessary (and if I don't ask too often:)

Regards,
Neal

What are the views about the cordless models? I haven't come across one, but they look useful but I would rather not have to learn by buying the wrong one first.

oilman, ive got both. A makita 240 volt one that is good for long jobs, but a pain in the bum to change the blades on. The cordless one is a dewalt. its easy to change the blades on and light. Only problem if youre doing a lot of cutting is battery life, otherwise bloomin cracking bit of kit, well recomended, its permanently on my van

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back