Chair leg repair what glue next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried various pva and epoxy glues and havnt had much success with loose dining room chairs (wood) Any advise on what the trade would use I have took apart and really cleaned up the joints and have a clamp Just the right glue please thanks

Sponsored Links
Where are they loose? (i.e. what joint)

glues work by sinking into the wood
pre glued joins are sealed so the new glue will only ever be a short time filler
by the time a joint gets repaired the joint will also have enlarged to some extent by movement

i tend to use d4 glue and a 8x40mm dowel in each tenon left with just the shaped end showing as a feature

you took them apart and clean out the mortices/dowel holes? Removed old glue by scraping or sanding? If you them put your glue into the hole and clamped it, results should have been fair. Can you post some pics?

If the chairs are old enough to have been made with scotch glue, it will certainly need to be scraped away.

Sponsored Links
Chairs are well known for being tricky to mend. The only way I know to get a successful "proper" mend is to clean the joints back to the wood, and then "remake" the joints to fit as originally intended. This can include shimming the joints out with veneer or other thin pieces of wood, filling a worn mortice with suitably oversized wood to give room for a mortice, and then recutting the mortice in it, or replacing the tenon with a suitable piece of wood let back into the member that carries the tenon. Sometimes the parts need remaking, which then leaves the problem of refinishing.
Sounds like a lot of trouble? It is. That's why "ordinary" but perfectly otherwise perfectly good chairs end up getting scrapped, or with bodged (and useless) wood screw repairs. If you don't mend them properly, they just come apart again.
Incidentally if the chairs are antiques and have value, any repairs should be done with scotch glue, as they were originally.
Otherwise I just use normal PVA wood glue.

Last edited:
took a bit of advise of you all really "shimmed" the joint out to get a tight fit then used some gorilla glue Still early days but it appears a tight fit We shall see thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back