Change a socket to a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a plug socket connection to the bathroom from a dedicated fuse at the consumer unit which was intended for the washing machine. But I wish to use the connection for an electric towel rail instead. But I don't want to plug anything in in the bathroom this seems unsafe to me, rather i have a Unica IP44 rated switch (apparently splash proof etc).
So i remove the plug from the towel heater and how do I now connect this as a switch. Both mains lead and heater have blue (neutral) and brown (live) wires. The switch on the other hand has 3 positions, 1 top left as you look at it from the rear which is red, 1 top right which is white and 1 below right which is white. Which wire goes where? and why do they not keep it simple by using all the same coordinated colours?

JD

Sponsored Links
I am indeed I live in Tallinn, though born Manchester, UK.
And the wiring here is a joke, believe me. Us Brits have the safest system.
But I love it here as a country, but not the bureacracy.
But, can u help?

Not with the colours. But if you can post a photo of the innards of the switch, maybe. There is no reason to suppose it will follow the same conventions as a UK switch.

Sponsored Links
ok, will be tomorrow now. I'm at work, go home take a pic and put it on first thing. (dont have internet at home since new house).
I also have a question regarding some switches installed having a light on the front so you can see them in the dark, but dont know how to do this either. will take a pic of this and post also.

Thanx bud.

I can see the picture but can't answer the question

Lexel%20Unica.jpg

I bet someone else will recognise it at once.

Other JD

I'm thinking to connect the two neutrals with a wire nut and then the brown/live from the feed into the red connection (top right - for some reason it turned blue in the pic, but it is red) and the brown wire for the heater into the white connection (bottom right)?

Anyone else any ideas out there?

JD

Yes, top left is 1, top right is 2, bottom left is 3 and bottom right is 4.

Sponsored Links
Back