Change from essex to surrey and removed anti-gravity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Power shower struggling to "start"and pump racing - certainly air in there somewhere me thinks - what do I do to fix !?

This is the history so far....
Plumbed the shower about 4 years ago. The shower always had a "quirk" whereby it would sometimes (maybe one in 20) struggle to start unless you swung it onto cold then both cold and hot would kick in. When this happened I also found that opening the secondary handset would work better than using the head shower presumably because handshower was a lot lower than the head shower (but cold water tank is about .8 metre above head shower so surprised by this) ? Nearly always more failures in the winter than in the summer - summer almost perfect. I understand air in the system and that more hot water would cause more of it - thus assuming this was the problem. Anyhow - I wasn't that bothered and was happy to leave it as-was.

However, I had to replace my leaking hot water tank about 6 months ago and ever since the problem has got much worse. While doing this I changed what was an essex to a surrey flange - and I also removed the anti-gravity loop (pump is in loft - and hot water is on floor below). I thought that surrey meant no need for anti-gravity ?

Looking at the other posts on this site I note something that I didn't when I put the pump in originally - an air valve *before* the pump. I have one on both hot and cold *after* the pump. Was I reading the instructions wrong and put them at the wrong side of the pump!? I think what I see is that one isn't needed with a wessex but one is needed with a surrey?. Does this have to be a manual valve? Surely the air is going to build up eventually so I'm just storing up the problem for later and I'll have to go in the loft on a regular basis to relieve it? (This is a problem for me as the house is now rented out - so would rather not make the tenants do this - not a good impression !) As the piping is in the loft and around the cold water tank - can I just put an open vent pipe hanging over the header tank like the expansion pipe is?

Any help desperately needed - I just had to replace the pump because the tenant just kept running it when it was racing and I don't fancy forking out for another one anytime soon !

many thanks,
John.

Sponsored Links
On a Saturday :eek: you`ll have to wait another 2 1/2 hours at least . :

Sponsored Links
The distance between the bottom of the CW tank & the pump or pump pipe work in the loft will affect the static head not just the location of the CW tank above the shower. You need to re-instate both the Essex flange & the anti-gravity loop; you need auto vents at the tops of both up & over loops after the pump not before & on a positive head system, you should have a non-return valve on the HW outlet from the pump. You need a minimum of 600mm from the underside of the tank to the pump or you will most likely need a negative head pump.

Here's a link; http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/Download/instructions.pdf

In general all pumps are the same regardless of make;

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back