Change Honeywell T40 to Salus RT500RF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'd like to improve the efficiency of my oil fired heating by replacing the standard T40 thermostat with a Salus RT500RF. My reason is that I want more than the combination of fixed temp and on/off timer switch, so the heating can stay switched on but offer a day and night /weekday weekend temperature setting. Hope that makes sense!

My T40 is supplied by 3 wires (I'll post a pic if I can figure out how):

- brown - permanent live (switched from a Honeywell ST6400A timer)
- blue - seems to be neutral
- yellow - switched live

My question is whether this wiring is sufficient to enable a straightforward swap to the Salus unit or not. I'm hoping of course that I don't have to start digging into the wiring of what is a new house to me, and that this will be an easy one!

Thanks for any reassurance you can offer.

Rich

Sponsored Links
You won't improve efficiency by changing the most reliable stat on the market to the most unreliable. If you have wires in place why not put in a 2 wire programmable, much better than RF (as long as not Salus).

The only reason for the wireless idea was because the current stat is in the hallway where I don't much care what the temperature is. I thought the wireless option would enable me to manage the temp in the "lived in" rooms.

However if the most sensible solution is to go for a wired programmable, that will utilise the existing wiring, then I'm open to recommendations as I'm not experienced with these things. Would a Honeywell CM907 be better?

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back