Change of use from agricultural to commercial -how difficult is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its for a friend, he runs a pig farm and he rents out 3 units but hasnt done change of use. (one storage 3 light industrial)

the square meterage is a bit more than 500m2

I understand under 500m3 is permitted development but over needs full planning

does anybody have experience of whether its likely to get approval or not? (I know piece of string and all that, but just want a: "not a cat in hells" or "should be poss")

TIA

Sponsored Links
I don't have a clue, sorry.
I do wonder, if it is "not a chance in hell", whether a judiciously placed stud wall could take it from "a bit more than 500m3" to "a hair under 500m3" usable space in a cheap way of qualifying as permitted?

A lot of it's to do with the noise, traffic, highway safety implications. If your friend can show there is no material difference between a scheme within pd rules and just outside them, the planning authority will have difficulty defending a refusal on a planning appeal, or justifying enforcement action.

Influential neighbours, views of the parish council have a practical impact on what is done/decided by the Council.

A chat with a local planning adviser is worthwhile for a few hundred quid, or maybe nothing.

Google government circular advice on planning enforcement, ditto the Council's enforcement policy.

If it really is a small difference consider going ahead, and be prepared to defend any action taken.

Blup

I don't have a clue, sorry.
I do wonder, if it is "not a chance in hell", whether a judiciously placed stud wall could take it from "a bit more than 500m3" to "a hair under 500m3" usable space in a cheap way of qualifying as permitted?
Many thank, yes that was my feeling.....reduce the area to make it within PD.

Sponsored Links
A lot of it's to do with the noise, traffic, highway safety implications. If your friend can show there is no material difference between a scheme within pd rules and just outside them, the planning authority will have difficulty defending a refusal on a planning appeal, or justifying enforcement action.

Influential neighbours, views of the parish council have a practical impact on what is done/decided by the Council.

A chat with a local planning adviser is worthwhile for a few hundred quid, or maybe nothing.

Google government circular advice on planning enforcement, ditto the Council's enforcement policy.

If it really is a small difference consider going ahead, and be prepared to defend any action taken.

Blup

Many thanks for your advice, it's really helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back