Change of use, Village plan and a soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a Village Development Plan for the village where my bungalow is, with the boundary of the village running along my boundary. At first glance this, along with the county council's anti-urbanisation regs, would seem to preclude me ever getting a change of use from Agricultural to Domestic use for a strip of land should my neighbour wish to sell me some.

However, at least one of the rainwater soakaways (no mains drains) appears to be the other side of the farmer's fence and there is a covenant allowing me access over the fence to maintain it.

Does anyone know of any precedents where a change of use, with restrictions if required, would be granted to enable me to bring my drains within my curtilage by extending the garden into the field?

I'm quite happy to not build on the strip and I would expect the farmer to want a consideration including in any future sale. I would like it to a) improve the view out of the bedrooms and b) enable me to reduce the slope at the end of the house to make it easier to maintain however I appreciate these aren't matters that would get me around the restrictions. It would also be nice to have my drains within my land.

Interestingly, in 1973, a "13ft or thereabouts" strip was added to the rear of the property to bring the cess pit within the curtilage for £10 plus costs. I could weep.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back