Change old light switch to dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have bought a new 2 gang dimmer to replace my old switch but the wiring seems to be different on both so not sure which wires go where. I have posted pics of my current wiring and the new dimmer switch back.
20201204_153632.jpg
20201204_153610.jpg
20201204_153632.jpg
20201204_153610.jpg
Please help. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Are there earth conductors present at your switch enclosure ? If there are not ,you can't use your new switch as it must be earthed.
The conductors in the " Com" terminals of your old switch go together into the L terminal of the new one.
On old switch L1 , = 1 on new .
On old switch L2 , = 2 on new.
Your old switch has each gangs terminals layed out in a triangle,so on the left of your pic ,the com terminal ( top left )and the L1 and L2 below it are one switch.
The other 3 terminals are the second switch.
Your new switch has terminals 1 and 2 next to each other .
I assume both switches are on the same circuit ??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi. Thank you guys. There is an earth cable pushed up.out of the way in the housing and as there are only 3 switches on my rcb I assume they would be on the same circuit but as I'm not clued up I can only guess. Thank you

Show pics of your consumer unit / fuseboard. Do you only have one of the three breakers that isolates all your ceiling lights ?

Hi Terry
Thanks for the reply. I recently bought smart sockets but couldn't use them because I have no neutral wires just black red and yellow\green. I have included a pic of the consumer unit

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201205_135550.jpg
    20201205_135550.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 20201205_135519.jpg
    20201205_135519.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 175
Surely that's not the only consumer unit in the property ,there are only two circuits ??
If it is the only consumer unit ,then all your ceiling lights would be on the one circuit ,far left (B6 marking)

Its the only one in the property. I do only live in a 2 up 2 down so I guess it's separated into upstairs and downstairs. Does this mean I'm good to go as long as I have an earth without blowing my house up?

Turn off the 6 amp breaker ,all your ceiling lights should then not work. That will confirm that you only have one lighting circuit. Turn off the main switch before working on the wiring / switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back