Change to porcelain colour/staining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, nearing the end of my garden renovation and had porcelain laid. Bit of background:

Full ground prep with full bed, sbr slurry primer
Nustone Ivory porcelain
Nexus pre grout sealer
Nexus Projoint porcelain grout (neutral)

Patio was laid for around 7 weeks before weather improved and could be grouted. On the day of grouting joints were free of water. After grouting we had no rain for around 4 days andwe had mild temperatures so it had time to cure, then heavy rain and I noticed the slabs were going light in different areas and seemed to be affecting the majority of slabs. These light areas then became less apparent and then over the last week where we warm dry weather the light areas almost became unnoticeable. We've had heavy rain today and I've now noticed a further change in colour which makes the areas near the grout lines look dark so either the slabs have got lighter except for near the grout lines or near the grout lines have got darker, I'm thinking it's more the first one. Initially i thought it was dirt and dust collecting near the grout lines from when the border stones were added but i've cleaned an area and nothing changed so it's definitely some kind of staining or change in the slabs but me and my landscaper are stumped. Also, being a home worker I've been able to follow the process of how it's been prepped and laid and regarding reflective staining its definitely on a full bed and slurried, although i believe it shouldn't be reflective staining as it's on full bed and to my knowledge porcelain shouldn't suffer from it due to being non porous.

Does anyone know what may be causing the colour change?

Attachments

• IMG_20240513_150418.jpg
    IMG_20240513_150418.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240513_151131.jpg
    IMG_20240513_151131.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 15
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back