Change to raft foundations after initial excavation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We had planned strip foundations, turns out we're going to need to go down at least 2m to match the foundations to the house. Builder has suggested raft foundations we're next to the neighbours house I don't want to **** around with their foundations too they're at 2m also.

BC are coming tomorrow, any other considerations? We're bridging over a sewer pipe too.

Fun.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

We had planned strip foundations, turns out we're going to need to go down at least 2m to match the foundations to the house. Builder has suggested raft foundations we're next to the neighbours house I don't want to **** around with their foundations too they're at 2m also.

BC are coming tomorrow, any other considerations? We're bridging over a sewer pipe too.

Fun.
I went down 2.4m (strip mass filled) with these....

Sponsored Links
Foundation choice should be a decision for a structural engineer, not a builder nor a building inspector.

Compare costs (design and install) between raft and piles.

And review your build over agreement if the foundation design alters, as you may need further consent.

Foundation choice should be a decision for a structural engineer, not a builder nor a building inspector.
Existing foundations can also determine, or can be a reliable indicator of ground conditions. An SE would want a visual in any case, so digging down would be inevitable.
Whilst 2m is prohibitive, they are not impossible, regards strip.
A lot would depend on disruption to the neighbours and drains etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back