Changing a 2 gang light switch over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanting to change a 2 gang light switch over. I have the original one on the wall and a new one.

The one already installed has wiring connections labelled L1,L2 and L3

However the new one has only L1,L2 and L

Am i right in thinking the L3 and L are one of the same and L3 wiring just be transfered like for like to the L conncection.

Sponsored Links
Transfer the cables as follows

Existing switch L1=New switch L
Existing switch L2=New switch L1
Existing switch L3=New switch L2.

NB: You have metallic switches, the switch plates must be connected directly to earth. I cannot see any CPCs (AKA earth cables) in your picture, if there are none, revert back to plastic switch plates.
It is not unheard of that the CPCs have been cut off, there is a possibility that they can be extended and then connected, but you must then confirm you have a continuous earth path around the circuit back to the MET at the fuse board.
My guess would be if no earth at one switch, it is highly likely to be a common issue at other switches.

Thanks.. Just moved house. There is an earth cable connected to the metal back box..I am aware of this needs sorting for metal switch. Is it just a case of looping a small piece of cable from the back box connection to the earth point at the switch.

Thanks

Yes , a short piece of cable in green/yellow sleeving.Ideally you'd connect the CPC conductors to the switch plate and
link back to the backbox

Sponsored Links
Hmm only one from one cable.

3 cables run into it. One from ceiling light fitting, one from another switch (2 way). That is one switch.

The right hand switch is for an outside light.

I think the earth is from the ceiling hallway light fitting.

EDIT: All good. Just checked again. All earthed but been put in the one sheath.
Just need small peice from back box to switch plate.

If you have at least one rigid screw lug on the backbox, the backbox does not necessarily need to be link to earth, as the screw will do this, providing the face plate is earthed.
But earthing plate and box with link, would be belt/braces.

If you have at least one rigid screw lug on the backbox, the backbox does not necessarily need to be link to earth, as the screw will do this, providing the face plate is earthed.
... until one removes the screws and pulls the plate forward (maybe dislodging conductors from terminals). I thought that not many people were happy to rely on the faceplate screws to earth the box - I'm certainly not.
But earthing plate and box with link, would be belt/braces.
Definitely - and, as above, FWIW, what I would always advise (and do).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back