Changing a 3 wire roomstat to a digital 2 wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help, I would like to replace my old 3 wire dial room stat with a new 2 wire digital one, the problem I have is on my old stat the wiring is as follows,
the terminals from left to right are marked - 4, 5, 1, 3, 2 and wired 4 = Blue, 5 = empty, 1 = Brown, 3 = empty & 2 = black.
On the new stat I have terminals L & SL which I assume to mean 'live' and 'switched live' could anyone advise on which of my wires need to go where on the new stat or is it not possible.
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does the old stat have a wiring diagram on it, or give us a clue as the name of the thing to find a diagram.

Nozzle

At a guess the brown is line, blue neutral, and black switched live. But one should not rely on guesses. The neutral is so an excellerator can operate to give more precise control. It seems your new digital one does not have this feature so is inferior but I suppose it looks "cool"!

Sponsored Links
The neutral is so an excellerator
The correct term is Accelerator. :rolleyes: You must use the correct words or people will not know what is meant!

On what basis do you feel that a digital thermostat is in some way "inferior" to the older (bimetallic strips and gas-filled bellows) types?

Hi,

Thanks for all replies, in answer to what make it is a Danfoss, no wiring diagram I'm afraid, I've attached pictures hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20161029_104134233[1].jpg
    IMG_20161029_104134233[1].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20161028_165807167[1].jpg
    IMG_20161028_165807167[1].jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 100
At a guess the brown is line, blue neutral, and black switched live. But one should not rely on guesses. The neutral is so an excellerator can operate to give more precise control. It seems your new digital one does not have this feature so is inferior but I suppose it looks "cool"!

:LOL: ………. should that not be 'hot' ?

DS

Sorry, I've found a diagram inside the cover of the Danfoss, please see picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20161029_104805987[1].jpg
    IMG_20161029_104805987[1].jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 101
As above. Brown=live, Black=switched live and blue is neutral - not used on your digital 'stat. Put the blue in an insulated terminal block as detailed in the WIKI

Hi,

Brown =L
Black =SL
Blue = not used make safe in connector block.

DS

The correct term is Accelerator. :rolleyes: You must use the correct words or people will not know what is meant!

On what basis do you feel that a digital thermostat is in some way "inferior" to the older (bimetallic strips and gas-filled bellows) types?

Thanks for the spelling typo.

Inferior as no accelerator, so no so precise control as already explained.

Similar functionality to that of a thermal accelerator can surely be achieved by the electronics in a digital one, can't it?

Kind Regards, John
Maybe. Seems additional complication (i.e. things to go wrong) for no gain however.

luddite1 - solid state electronics, in ambient temperatures, without dirt or vibration very, very, rarely, if ever, go wrong. EVER. Your coveted accelerator "function" is a kludge to make an otherwise slow-to-respond bimetallic strip actually respond without having huge hysteresis. An electronic version on the other hand doesn't need such as function as the thermistor has thermal inertia tens if not hundreds of times smaller that said strip.

Nozzle

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back