Wiring Central Heating Controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced my central heating controls and can't get them wired properly (I'm in Scotland and it's freezing!)

I've replaced an old Landis & Gyr programmer with a new Drayton Tempus Seven. I also bought a new wiring centre, there are the following 16 connections in it -

ROOM STAT -

2 - Call
3 - Com

I think I have this correct. The blue wire is labeled Call so it went in #2, the brown wire was labeled Com so it went in #3. There was also an earth wire which I attached to the earth connection of the provided terminal strip.

2-PORT VALVES

4 - Htg. Brown
6 - Htg. & H.W. Orange
7 - Htg. & H.W. Grey
8 - H.W. Brown

The cable I have has an orange, grey, brown and blue. I put the orange in #5, the grey in #7, the brown in #8 and the blue in #4 (Is this wrong?)

PROGRAMMER

9 - Htg. On
10 - H.W. ON
11 - L

Now, I have 3 wire coming from my programmer (The instructions for the Drayton say it should be wired the same as my old one)

On the programmer I have - N L 1 2 3 4

The first wire goes to the mains, blue to N and brown to L (This is OK as the thing turns on) the next two wires have the earth and neutral wires cut away and go into 3 (heating on) and 4 (HW on) At the other end I have put the brown wires into #9 and #10. #11 has a red wire coming from it that goes into a separate terminal strip. Do I run a cable between the part marked L and the L on the programmer??

I then have -

BOILER

12 - L

I have put the brown from the boiler into #12 and the neutral and earth into the Neutral and Earth parts of the terminal srtip.

PUMP

13 - L

Same as above.

CYC STAT

14 - Call
15 - Com

I don't have a cylinder stat so nothing is connected here.

Hope someone can help as not only is it cold here I am also in the bad books with the girlfriend for making it so cold. :oops:

Sponsored Links
I have found this diagram of the wiring centre -

wiringcentre.gif

mmcmahon said:
Hope someone can help as not only is it cold here I am also in the bad books with the girlfriend for making it so cold. :oops:
You could always make the most of it and volunteer to suggest ways to warm her up ! ;)

Looking at your wiring centre I note there are wiring links shown.
terms 3 & 9 are linked terms 10 & 15 are linked and so are terms 6 & 12.
Have you taken these into consideration?
Also if you don't have a cylinder stat I always thought you had to have a link in it's place for the boiler to fucntion (but I could be wrong).

I find it makes more sense if you draw the wiring centre along with the other items and draw the various wires in place so you can see how the electric gets to the boiler, pump and 2 port valve via the room stat and cylinder stat if you had one.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I did think that might be the case with the cylinder stat. I'll try again tonight.

Got it working last night. Finally managed to get my head around it (which is surprising when you have the sort of hangover you get after Scotland beat Holland)

Thanks again for the help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back