Changing a Drayton MA1 actuator - like for like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got myself a Drayton MA1 actuator from my local plumber merchants and am looking to install it myself.

I cannot see it being much of a problem - hopefully the wiring colours will be the same and it is only doing up 3 fittings.

I know I need the drain the tank down. If I close the supply valve to the tank and turn off the stop cock , I guess I drain it by opening a hot water tap on the bath.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The valve that you are going to put the replacement actuator on has nothing to do with the hot water. Are you sure you want to tackle this yourself?

You may be able to change the valve motorhead only. This way you will not need to disconnect the plumbing.

Also when doing the wiring snip off the old valve at the terminal block leaving a short length of coloured wire remaining. Then remove the old wires one at a time replacing with the new as you go (saves getting confused and getting it wrong).

The valve that you are going to put the replacement actuator on has nothing to do with the hot water. Are you sure you want to tackle this yourself?

Thanks for the post. I understood that the MA1 actuator is faulty because when the gas boiler is turned on to heat the hot water , the radiators get warm and the water is luke warm.

Is that not correct ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the actuator is the problem and it is an indirect cylinder then the hot water is heated via a coil that runs through your cylinder. Your valve is attached to the primary circuit from the boiler. However you should be able to remove the actuator without having to drain anything :)

Thank you for the replies. I spoke to an electrician mate and he was certain that the MA1 would be at fault for this problem. I didnt realise that you could remove the actuator head from the 3 way pipework. It certainly makes life a lot easier and ther job should take less time.

Thanks for the post. I understood that the MA1 actuator is faulty because when the gas boiler is turned on to heat the hot water , the radiators get warm and the water is luke warm.

Is that not correct ?

Thanks in advance.
the actuator is the white electrical bit (top) of the valve, the valve body is the brass bit connected to the pipes, it's the body that is most likely, with your symptoms, to be at fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back