Drayton ma1 - is this damn thing working?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and new to plumbing.
I have a Drayton MA1 attached to my system and the actuator is certainly broken but I am wondering whether the valve part is also broken...
Could anyone tell me how much movement there should be on the brass valve after the actuator has been removed?
Presently I have taken the actuator off and am only able to move the (goodness knows what it's called) 'valve driver' about 1/4 turn.
Seems to me that it should be more than that but that is an assumption and you know what they say about those.....
Any ideas/help/info would be greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
1/4 turn is quite a lot for motorised valves, although I can't remember how far the Draytons should turn. The Honeywells are nowhere near 1/4 turn.

Sorry if this isn't much help, but usually they don't turn very much. Hopefully someone else can remember if 1/4 is right for your Drayton.

1/4 turn is about right. If you want to prove it, then operate it manually without the head on and see how it works.

Thanks both. Figured I'd log on in the morning and see if I got a reply or not but you guys were straight on it! :)
It's moving that approximate 1/4 turn quite easily and seems to reach a fairly positive end point in both directions.
I thought it would be like a gate valve or something where you have to go through 180 degrees but can see I got that wrong!
I know for sure that the actuator isn't moving at all but will have a play with the valve to see if I can get either heating or hot water at either extreme of the settings.
thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Hello again.
I got a new motor for the actuator today and that has sorted the problem out :)

I have now noticed that, when in mid position, there is a clicking sound coming from the actuator. Sometimes it clicks once a second for a long time and sometimes it stops clicking for a while.

Can anyone think of a reason for this? And do you think it is something I can sort out?

Thank you :)

This is how the valve works, believe it or not. The motor is switched on and off to maintain mid position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back