Drayton MA1 3-port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
Anyone else out there having problems with the Drayton MA1 mid-position Actuator on a Drayton 3-port valve on their central heating system?

I have had 3 of these valves fitted in the last 6 months and am constantly having the same problem of them "sticking" in the mid-position after working perfectly well for only a short time. Am tearing what's left of my hair out over it. Does this particular model have something of a reputation for this. If so, can anyone recommend a good reliable alternative which will last me for years rather than months without going faulty on me?

Sponsored Links
Thank you Hazetimesfive. Someone else told me that as well. Any idea why the Drayton valves go faulty in this way so often? Surely by now the word on this particular fault would have got back to Drayton HQ by now and they would have done something about it (it can't just be me!).

They are just slowly but surely going to lose a shed-load of customers to Honeywell through making and selling sub-standard components.

Did you replace the head only or the body too?

Sponsored Links
Whole valve was replaced 4 years ago. Then in July of 2012 (6 months ago) the plastic actuator head was replaced with a new one. That worked okay until around 6-7 weeks ago. Then the same problem occurred (stuck in mid-position). The whole valve was again replaced, head and body. And now, over the last 4 days it has again become stuck in mid-position on 2 seperate occasions.

Very frustrating and don't know what else to do with the damn things other than to have a different make and model installed. I don't do it myself. I get a professional to do it - thank god I have an all-singing-all-dancing central heating insurance cover to deal with it.

It is just hugely inconvenient to have these drayton valves (which appear to be the make of choice among my heating engineers' team) fitted onto my system when they are constantly letting me (and the engineers who are fitting them) down. I guess form looking at them that there is just way too much plastic involved in the working parts of this particular model of valve - and plastic aint as good as metal I would guess.

To be fair to the valves your fault is not one I see often and i see hundreds of them a year.....everything else happens to them but not that....makes me suspicious.

I am probably on the same "team" as your heating guys. :)

Makes me suspicious about the cause of so many failures. They are not great valves but they rarely fail that often on their own.

Anyway - I very much doubt you are on the same "team" as the "guys" I have spoken to who work for the firm i use have said that they are having frequent similar issues with these valves "sticking" open in mid-position.

honeywell valves fail too.. they all do..

the reason why other valves are still fitted is... as usual... price..

I see hwell valves for upto 100 quid...

What else could be causing the problem?

faulty wiring/programmer are you sure its sticking Mechanically?
Though I would think your engineers have confirmed this

when does it stick?
is it there all the time?

next time its stuck try removing all power from the system and see if its still stuck in mid pos

Matt

It sticks intermittently - as I say, it has happened on 2 occasions over the past 4 days, always at mid-position. I am able to "un-stick" it by switching the power off at the boiler at the mains switch.

This then causes the spring mechanism within the actuator to release the seized valve, and the mechanism then reverts to its default position at the hot water position.
I then switch the boiler back on at the mains switch and everything then works normally again (until next time!).

It sticks intermittently - as I say, it has happened on 2 occasions over the past 4 days, always at mid-position. I am able to "un-stick" it by switching the power off at the boiler at the mains switch.

This then causes the spring mechanism within the actuator to release the seized valve, and the mechanism then reverts to its default position at the hot water position.
I then switch the boiler back on at the mains switch and everything then works normally again (until next time!).

then you have an electrical problem with the control of the valve not a mechanical problem, stop changing the valve/head

I'm busy at mo but will look back in later if no one has helped.
do you have a multimeter

Matt

Afraid not Matt. Could you possibly just explain, in simple terms if possible, exactly how this electrical problem is affecting the proper working of the valve. It would be hugely useful for when I phone up my heating firm who look after my system so that I can state my case to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back