changing a hong kong plug to uk plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have just bought some plug in wall lights but they were made in china so have a 2 pin plug that i haven't seen before, can i just cut this off and replace it with a normal 13A 3 pin plug? does it matter that there is no earth? any feedback would be much appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
If you bought them in this country then by law they should have had a UK plug fitted.

So as they did not, I would question the whole legality of their presence here.

What voltage are they made for?

What safety standards do they adhere to?

Are they CE marked?

Are you risking your life using them?

my housemate got them from habitat and they are CE marked, also the label says 240V and 50Hz. perhaps im wrong in thinking its a foreign plug, its just ive never seen one like this before and the label says made in china, but they were bought in england. Its a small plug with 2 pins, one of them is small and round, and the other is longer and flat (about 10mm long) does this sound familiar? sorry i cant get a photo on here and i cant find any examples on the internet. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like a low voltage connector that should connect to a transformer. I've seen similar on other domestic lights.

Does it look a bit like this?

755_432.jpg

I suspect the light should have come with a transformer, or they sell one separately.

yea thats it, brilliant! it didnt come with a transformer i dont think so i'll look in to getting on. should i go back to the shop the light is from or are they sold in most electrical shops? thanks a lot for the help mate.

I'd go back to the shop they came from, it's quite likely they should have been supplied with a transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back