Changing a Kitchen tap - non standard model?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to see if anyone can offer any advice or tips on changing a kitchen tap that looks to be an non standard model? I've looked at some youtube tutorials but my tap looks nothing like the ones I've seen.

There seems to be a bolt I can unscrew on the bottom of the tap but that seems about all I would be able to unscrew? (I haven't tried to yet).

You can also see the copper pipes coming from the bottom which are painted white but how you would go about disconnecting these?

The white pipes going to the tap handles seems to also have a long pipe which connects to the tap so I think I wouldn't be able to remove the white pipe going to the tap handles?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Do you have a picture of the taps?
Possible plumbing in Oz is a little different to that in the UK?
It looks like you have a hot and cold feed, possibly one tap for each then a mixer in the middle. But from underneath I cannot see how the two hot and cold do not mix in the pipework below, unless the middle connection is a form of valve.
It looks like the central connection nut, wont be a problem to release(it has been soldered though) but as for the left and right tap connectors, they look to be two male threads, if you remove the chrome pipe covers, there maybe enough slack in the cabinet hole, to allow you to undue the hot and cold feeds at the tap connectors.
PS are bolts you mention, actually the nuts(tap connectors) seen in pictures or is there something that cannot be seen?

Thanks for your reply, more pictures below. Yep looks like Oz plumbing is different. The bolt I mentioned was that central connection nut which you pointed out.

The chrome pipe covers (I assume you mean where the top pipes are connected) look to be connected and soldered to the middle connection so they can't be unscrewed. I'm not sure how the pipe is been held by the pipe cover. Seems like all the pipes are small pipes soldered together, seems kind of dodgy.

The replacement unit we have to install is a sink mixer with 2 flexible pipes.

It's a 3-hole mixer, not normlly found on sinks here in the UK. Baths and basins, yes.

If it were me I'd be looking to fit a monobloc/single-hole mixer in the middle hole, although it might need enlarging. Or replacing the tap AND the sink.

Sponsored Links
Having looked at the photos it seems to me to be a simple job to remove the taps.They cannot be undone from under the sink so they must come undone from above.

After turning off the water, take off the tap heads, either pull, or unscrew H&C discs take out screw then remove heads. You will then find a nut holding the valves in place.
(note it may not be a hex nut but a threaded ring.)

For the spout, undo the Allen key grub screw in the hole you can see just below where the spout swivels and pull off spout, it may be keyed so twist the spout until it pulls up.

Then slacken the nut under the sink where the two pipes join the spout, you will then find that you can unscrew the base of the spout from the top of the sink.

After cutting and capping the supply pipes the tap assembly will fall out.

Job done.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back