Changing kitchen tap washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to change the washer on my hot tap as it’s dripping, I’ve unscrewed the handle but still can’t access the nut?

Attachments

• D85B0249-ECCC-4E7B-AE81-7861D0394A47.png
    D85B0249-ECCC-4E7B-AE81-7861D0394A47.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No. The shroud is removed by unscrewing the shroud, bearing in mind to protect the chrome finish.

Trying to change the washer on my hot tap as it’s dripping, I’ve unscrewed the handle but still can’t access the nut?
If it was a quarter turn on/off handle then there is no washer.

So literally just need to twist it?

If it will not budge, try tapping it on the side with something soft, like a bit of timber, to free it. More leverage to grip it can be had by folding some cord in two, then wrapping it round the item, ending up with the closed end loop of cord on top in the direction you want to turn it - then just put a lever through through the loop. If the open end of the cord is underneath, it will grip tight as the cord is tightened.

Usually its just a question of getting a good grip to unscrew the shroud. Pump pliers are likely to damage the chrome so you could try wrapping several turns of insulating tape around the shroud to protect it.
My first thing to try though would be wrapping a few rubber bands round the shroud and trying by hand. The extra friction given by the rubber bands usually does the trick.

wearring a dry rubber glove (the housewife type) improves your grip

a rubber strap wrench is ideal, and not expensive. Often listed as a "boa"

On ebay and places like halfords.

In a hurry, you can get elastic strapping from a chemist or some supermarts.

not sure of the correct name, but it is like fabric elastoplast, in a long strip that you can cut to length. put a turn tightly on the shroud, the adhesive will hold it, and the fabric will protect the shroud from scratches. you can use footprints or something. If you use a mole, you may dent the shroud as you lock it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back