Dripping kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a mixer in our kitchen that has the normal up and over bend which has been fitted for around 6 years.

It's always dripped slightly when turning off the taps but the other week, we lost all pressure in the cold tap. A plumber was here servicing the boiler and had a look and it turns out the washer was screwed and the innards were screwed down too much. He replaced the washer, flow returned although noisy on low flow to start with but now it's dripping more than ever to the point I can't really get it to stop.

I've tested today but turning the hot and cold supply off to try and work out which one it can be, but they both individually drip although stop when I turn both supplies off.

I've just unscrewed the end of the tap and I can see there is a washer in there, but it looks ok, but I'm not sure what else it could be? It's driving me nuts.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid this might not sound very helpful, but I would just change the tap.
If there has already been an issue with the washer, it's likely to continue recurring.
Changing the tap is an easy DIY job and modern ceramic cartridge mixers are so much more reliable than washered versions.
Good luck.

A new tap would be the answer , older style taps with washers as the washer wore down and the tap dripped the answer would be to tighten the tap rather than change the washer , this ground into the seating of the tap making the situation worse,
At one time plumbers used to use a reseating tool to solve the problem but that could take a long time and was not always successful . These days a plumber and a reseating tool comes in very expensive a new tap is cheaper .

well I've just washed a video on repairing a Franke tap which looks similar and all he does is cleans the brasswork in vinegar and bicarb so I'm just trying that, although I couldn't shift the hot water shroud to take it out. One thing I did notice was that although there was a washer halfway up the assembly which I think is what was replaced, there was also one right on the bottom. This one was thicker and went around what looked like a nipple but it was more oval then round so had some slack in it. I'm thinking I should replace this one and maybe the issue?

Sponsored Links
Difficult to try and get the pics but hopefully can see firstly the washer isn't even and secondly the hole is quite big

Attachments

• PXL_20210820_162437136.jpg
    PXL_20210820_162437136.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20210820_162511858.jpg
    PXL_20210820_162511858.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20210820_162538416.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210820_162538416.MP.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 62
Tempted to change the tap, but it looks like when the B&Q fitted the kitchen 6 years ago, they used copper to push-fit connections so I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to replace that.

That washer has had it! Sorry!
If you want to post a pic of the under sink tap connectors, we may be able to help with that as well.

Didn't think it looked right :D

So I'm going to shoot to Toolstation and get a new washer, hopefully that could be the cause and I'll put it all back together testing with the hot water still off.

Attachments

• 16294783052632454274503624753322.jpg
    16294783052632454274503624753322.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 61
Those look like standard copper tails that come with the taps. You would just have to pull off the pushfit connectors and push them back on to the new taps tails.
Although there's no harm replacing the washer, it should only cost pennies!
Good luck.

Boom, Stuart 1 - Drip 0. Had to buy a 5 pack of washers for the mighty sum of £1.51 Struggled to get it on but I guess they aren't supposed to be easy but with a bit of persuasion from pliers it went on. Reassembled and no drip from the cold. Tried the hot, considering I didn't change that one, and still no drip. In fact I'd even go as far as saying it's the best it's ever been.

Can only assume when our guy replaced it a couple of weeks ago, it didn't go on right which is why when I took the assembly out, it fell of and was stuck in the base and looked the way it did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back