changing a lead stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

MY neighbour has got an old lead stop cock thats connected to lead pipes thats which is leaking slightly from right next to where you actually turn it from, I am intending on changing this for a new one but Im thinking I will have to fit a leadlock on each side then connect a bit of copper to connect to the new stopcock.

His system is a gravity fed system and im just wandering how I am going to drain it.

Im thinking if I turn off his stopcock outside then let the cold water taps run untill it drains down?

I have read on the how to area of this site about draining wih a cicstern but am not sure if he has one, he has a big water tank in his loft along with his cylinder but am not quite sure if he has a cistern. I also read that a cistern is usually folded to fit through the loft hatch and as the black tank is huge and would never of fited through his loft hatch I think it is a cistern.

If it is a cistern since I am cutting the mains from outside would I still need to drain the system down? or would water flow back?

I am thinking that maybe I could just cut the water from outside and it should be ok?

If you could please advise me on this It would be much appreciated

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate, it's got to be said you just don't sound like you have the experience to be doing a job like this. Walk away or it could end in tears.

if the gland nut will still come off can you not just repack the gland, i don't think much to lead fittings and i would cut it out side fit one of those bullet fittings and bring back inside with MDPE, you do not need to drain down to do this but got to go with Steady's comment and i to don't think it is a job you sound like you should be doing, my comments on lead locks are just my own personal feelings on them, i prefare a connection outside with a universal fitting which takes a good length of pipe inside and seems to always make a good tight seal

Hi guys

thanks for the comments, to be ohnest, Im all up for changing rads changing taps soldering etc however as it is not my house, and I have had most of my experience with sealed systems and I havent had a look to see if hes got a gate valve from his cistern/watertank im just trying to find out how the best way to do this.

I only remember his system from when I had to change a hot water tap for him but am not sure about his cold water system as I havent taken a proper look.

I feel up to it, and im sure Ive done much harder and complicated things than a stopcock and a couple of leadlocks.

But I appreciate your concerns guys

I havent tried to take of the gland nut off, will get to that in a couple of days. but if not succesfull you said I wouldnt need to drain his system?

could you elaborate a bit more please??

thanks again

Sponsored Links
am guessing he has central heating? if so there should be 2 tanks up there, if there is only one then he has a primatic system either way they are not directly connected to the cold supply, a cistern has a float operated valve and an over flow pipe, there are measurements set out to prevent any back flow as there is always an air gap between the water and the valve, your only chance of back flow is from say a mixer tap that has not got a check valve on it's cold feed but even then keeping the tap turned off will stop that from happening. You will need to drain the water left in the pipe from the lowest point after that you can only catch the rest best you can as you cut the pipe, but honestly mate over confidence can be a bad thing, your neighbour wont like it if you flood his house, lead pipe is tricky at the best of times to work with, if your using leadlocks you need a good section of pipe to work with, it needs to be clean and in very good condition to make a good seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back