changing a light socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I have a pendant light over the dining room table which has blown. A picture is as shown. The label on the socket says '230 V Max 75W E27' with a little light bulb picture on it. There is also a part number of GS3558.

I want to replace just the socket and assume this is possible. The fixture does not seem to unscrew. The wire comes in from the top and goes straight into the fixture, so I will assume that I can undo the wiring from the bottom.

The question is, what socket can/should I get? are they all more or less the same. Will any E27 Max 75W work?

Thanks.

light1.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you remove the lamp are there screws in the holder? Those screws should release the lamp holder from the skirt

Likely you will want a ceramic E27 lamp holder. Something like this but once you get the lamp holder out, you'll have a better idea of what it looks like.

When you reconnect the new one, if it doesn't have marked terminals, make sure the neutral goes to the thread, and the live to the pin.

Is the weight of the fitting taken by the flex or is there a chain/rod, etc. support?

In the former case you'll need a lampholder with a good cord grip, in the latter you'll need one with a thread or hook fitting.

I think the weight of the pendant is taken by the "hat" (which is pictured. This hat is not detachable) of the fitting. ok. I will take the fitting off and repost. I was hoping to avoid that as I wanted the fitting to stay in place before i ordered one. but hey ho.

Sponsored Links
so, if you unthread the little nib up top, it seems like the fitting "grips" the cord. So, I assume, I need to get one like that?

can anyone recommend one? The trouble is I don't know what to google. "lamp e27 fitting"?

Ok. So I tried to to remove it, but I couldn't. Here are some pictures.

1) Shows that I think I need a socket with a grip (first pic).
2) and 3), however, I tried to capture that I don't really know how to take this thing off. The "hat" rotates with respect to the bottom, but doesn't seem to unscrew (see second pic). There are no screws on the underside (as shown) (see third pic). If you notice the actual bulb fitting (i.e. where the bulb actually screws in) is separate from the exterior housing. So, after threading a bulb in, I pulled on the bulb hoping to remove the interior fitting with it from the external housing. No dice. I also tried to push the entire wire through the top. No dice.

One solution is that I can simply destroy this rather brittle piece of plastic and remove it that way, but I don't want to. I'd like to remove it properly!

light3.jpg light5.jpg light4.jpg

so you think the cord clips are what's holding it all together? the ones at the top? I could try to pry them open.

Last edited:
I think you need to try to slide the "hat" along the cable. The grip looks like it's designed to slide one way but not the other. You might need to lever-out the grippy bits.

That would expose the inner lamp holder.

The light has been flickering for a couple of months now. you had to adjust the bulb to stop the flickering. A few days ago, however, it just stopped working. I have replaced it with working bulbs and they don't work at all.

Try bending the middle pin out a bit more, it might not be making a great contact (with the power off of course)

Iggifer: that was the problem! Yes, I just pulled the metal contact out a bit and it's working like a charm now.

Thanks all for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back